Fios TV One Mini no handshake w/ Vizio TV - CEC and HDMI
mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

The main Fios STB is hooked up to an old toshiba and works without issue. Tried this STB w/ 2018 Vizio E50-F2 TV and couldn't get the handshake. Was able to get it one time only w/ the Mini and can no longer get it. HDMI no signal. I have the TV and boxes set up for CEC, HDMI, and HD. All settings are correct but can't get the handshake w/ the Vizio TV. Switched the boxes with the TV. Everything works with Toshiba nothing with vizio. Tried all combinations of plugging/unplugging & changing the order of turning devices on. HDMI cables are new and certified for 4K ultra HD. A 3/27 firmware update by Vizio seemed to cause HDMI no signal issues that weren't there before. Can't get a tech out due to Covid.  Reset TV to factory settings, doing soft reboots, etc. It worked one time and I had the best TV quality ever for 1 night only. Now back to No Signal. Tried removing the Mini STB and re-adding it to the network. Any suggestions for getting this to work again?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios TV One Mini no handshake w/ Vizio TV - CEC and HDMI
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure on this, but I dont think the mini will put out an HDMI signal and a Composite signal at the same time. You may have to remove that adapter before it outputs on the HDMI out. Not 100% on that but worth a try.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look in the Vizio settings for something like enhanced color, expanded color, something on the input you are using the Fios box on. Also set up the Fios box temporarily to output 1080i, not 4K. If you get a signal into the tv, then again look for enhanced, wide color something like that for that input. Also many TV's can only accept 4K on 1 0r 2 inputs, not all are HDCP2.2. Just checked your manual, make sure Fios box is going to HDMI input 1.

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Tried everything you suggested and more. Reset the TV to factory defaults for 3rd time. Rebooted router, Fios One STB and Mini and the TV a number of times. Turned on/off CEC in the TV and the Mini. The only way I can see the settings in the Mini is if it's hooked up w/ the SD cables. Dumbed down all the settings. Does anyone have specific Vizio E series TV settings that work w/ Fios TV One mini and STB? No help from Vizio tech support. And what specific Mini settings should the box have to work w/ Vizio E series TV? I believe I've tried every possible combination and setting but am open to any suggestions. This is such a waste of time and I don't want to watch SD tv. Is it a requirement that Fios One have CEC turned on? When it is on, the TV cannot locate the box. When rebooting the Mini or STB should the TV be off or on? Is there a particular order to turn things on? Thanks.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Tried everything you suggested and more. Reset the TV to factory defaults for 3rd time. Rebooted router, Fios One STB and Mini and the TV a number of times. Turned on/off CEC in the TV and the Mini. The only way I can see the settings in the Mini is if it's hooked up w/ the SD cables. Dumbed down all the settings. Does anyone have specific Vizio E series TV settings that work w/ Fios TV One mini and STB? No help from Vizio tech support. And what specific Mini settings should the box have to work w/ Vizio E series TV? I believe I've tried every possible combination and setting but am open to any suggestions. This is such a waste of time and I don't want to watch SD tv. Is it a requirement that Fios One have CEC turned on? When it is on, the TV cannot locate the box. Thanks.

No special settings on the box, but did you try setting the box to 1080i? No matter what that should give you an image if the HDMI cable is good. CEC is NOT a requirement and actually caused more harm than good.

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi.  I'm not able to set the Mini to 1080 as I can only use SD cables to get access to the box and when I tried to change the setting it would only allow 480. I have the main STB in the other room set to 1080.  I was unable to get the main stb to work with Vizio tv. Only the Mini worked for 2 days. Now everything is back to no signal. I just did a Systems Import from the good TV to this one and still no joy. This tv was perfect until the last firmware update. Immediately after these issues started and no help from Vizio. Thank you again!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:

Hi.  I'm not able to set the Mini to 1080 as I can only use SD cables to get access to the box and when I tried to change the setting it would only allow 480. I have the main STB in the other room set to 1080.  I was unable to get the main stb to work with Vizio tv. Only the Mini worked for 2 days. Now everything is back to no signal. I just did a Systems Import from the good TV to this one and still no joy. This tv was perfect until the last firmware update. Immediately after these issues started and no help from Vizio. Thank you again!

Was it a Vizio update or a Verizon update? Can you go to the mini, Turn the power button off on the box, hit OK2x very quickly on the remote. You should see a black and white screen that looks like a big list. Hit left arrow, scroll to USER, hit OK. Should be at a user setting menu. Set the resolution there to 1080i, hit ok, then power off the box. Back on, you should see 1080i on your TV.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@mvc wrote:

Was it a Vizio update or a Verizon update? Can you go to the mini, Turn the power button off on the box, hit OK2x very quickly on the remote. You should see a black and white screen that looks like a big list. Hit left arrow, scroll to USER, hit OK. Should be at a user setting menu. Set the resolution there to 1080i, hit ok, then power off the box. Back on, you should see 1080i on your TV.

More thinking, can you see if the main 4100 box is set to 1080i or 1080P. If 1080p, set it to 1080i, then try it on the Vizio TV. Also in the Vizio setup menu, make sure colorspace is set to YcBCr, NOT RGB. It may also be an issue with HDCP2.2. Try a different HDMI input on the Vizio than what you are using now. Big guessing game......

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and generous help. I've tried them all and just can't get this to work with Vizio tv. The TV was fine working with older Verizon STB until 3/27 when a firmware update was pushed to the tv. I upgraded to Fios TV One boxes hoping that would solve the issue with the TV. Both boxes work fine with a 5 year old Toshiba tv. The issue is Vizio and since I can't get support from them or from BestBuy (the tv is under warranty for 3 more years) but due to Covid no one can come out to fix it. I'll have to get another TV that will work with Fios boxes. I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot this and am giving up now. Once again many thanks for your time and good suggestions. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mvc wrote:

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and generous help. I've tried them all and just can't get this to work with Vizio tv. The TV was fine working with older Verizon STB until 3/27 when a firmware update was pushed to the tv. I upgraded to Fios TV One boxes hoping that would solve the issue with the TV. Both boxes work fine with a 5 year old Toshiba tv. The issue is Vizio and since I can't get support from them or from BestBuy (the tv is under warranty for 3 more years) but due to Covid no one can come out to fix it. I'll have to get another TV that will work with Fios boxes. I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot this and am giving up now. Once again many thanks for your time and good suggestions. 

Sony works 🙂 I have one....Samsung works most of the time....Roku TVs seem to work, LG works. I seem to recall an issue with Vizio and a recent firmware update messing up the TV. Will it still work with a Bluray player on the input you are using the Fios box on? If you really want to try this might help: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242

Just make sure they'll take a return if it doesn't help.

mvc2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for this. I ordered the same unit in your link from Amazon and should get it next week. Hopefully this solves the issue. TV is barely 2 years old and supposedly 4K ultra HD. But whatever firmware update Vizio pushed ruined the HDMI. Thank you for this suggestion and if it works I'll post back here to let you know. Best regards to you!

0 Likes