Fios TV One Samsung Q70 Sonos Beam sync issues
RJ20201

I have just upgraded with Fios TV One, new Samsung Q70 TV, and Sonos Beam with Beam connected to TV via HDMI-ARC port.  Having major video-audio sync problem with video leading audio... no adjustment on Samsung or Sonos works.  Help!

0 Likes
Re: Fios TV One Samsung Q70 Sonos Beam sync issues
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Does the prproblem happen if you use the built in apps on the TV, or just the Fios box?

RJ20201

Thank you, clem53, for your response.  I switched to PCM from Dolby and seems to resolve the sync problem.  I guess the additional compression processing created the added delay.  I hope the audio quality is not degraded.  Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of course it's going to be degraded!

Sonos Beam is capable of processing DD and provide a high quality surround virtualization but instead you're going to have just a stereo audio output

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

His TV may not be capable of passing DD via HDMI ARC. Not all TVs can. Another option would be going optical from the Fios box to the soundbar, and not messing with ARC.

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

As the OP stated the TV model it's not hard to check:

Samsung Q70

The audio formats that are available with HDMI-ARC:

• PCM (2 channel)
  • Dolby Digital (up to 5.1 channel)
  • DTS Digital Surround (up to 5.1 channel)
0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Mbpe300 wrote:

As the OP stated the TV model it's not hard to check:

Samsung Q70

The audio formats that are available with HDMI-ARC:

• PCM (2 channel)
  • Dolby Digital (up to 5.1 channel)
  • DTS Digital Surround (up to 5.1 channel)

Ok, then the OP needs to go in the service menu and change the audio delay in the additional HDMI settings. I'd try off first, then if no good, try 150 and go up from there until it's right. He needs to create more of an audio delay.

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

The OP said "video leading audio".

No value of Audio Delay will help, only make it worse.

@clem53, as we discussed in a separate post, the issue is the delayed audio stream from the STB when set to "surround". Whether due to extra processing by the box or something else but delaying the audio can't help as the audio is already delayed.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Mbpe300 wrote:

The OP said "video leading audio".

No value of Audio Delay will help, only make it worse.

@clem53, as we discussed in a separate post, the issue is the delayed audio stream from the STB when set to "surround". Whether due to extra processing by the box or something else but delaying the audio can't help as the audio is already delayed.

My bad, got this post mixed up with another. 9 times out of 10 it's a video delay problem that occurs. The newest firmware is supposed to have both audio and video passthrough. That might be the OPs solution to enable the audio passthrough. It's also possible that switching the audio delay option to off in the service menu could help.