Fios TV One mini wifi issues
Rilo75
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, 

Just recently got Fios up and running again after leaving it 3 years ago.  This time around I got some TV One minis as I am unable to run cables to certain spots where they were to be used.

The wifi connection is terrible no matter what I do.  I can get it running flawlessly for a day only to have the issues return the next day.  The picture freezes, stutters, and will become pixelated. Every other device near it or even next to it runs completely fine off the wifi.  I'm using the G1100 which I purchased the first time I had Fios.  It seems to be in good working order as I haven't had issues at all with all of the other devices connected or wired to it.  

Distance is not a problem.  The unit that struggles is a mere 10 feet away from the G1100.  I have yet to install the second as that is going to be installed a few rooms over and I think I know how that's going to turn out.  

I have moved the mini all around the room to no avail.  I'm at a loss of what this device can't keep a consistent connection to the router. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping this is just a bad unit that I can swap out.  

0 Likes
Re: Fios TV One mini wifi issues
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rilo75 wrote:

Hello, 

Just recently got Fios up and running again after leaving it 3 years ago.  This time around I got some TV One minis as I am unable to run cables to certain spots where they were to be used.

The wifi connection is terrible no matter what I do.  I can get it running flawlessly for a day only to have the issues return the next day.  The picture freezes, stutters, and will become pixelated. Every other device near it or even next to it runs completely fine off the wifi.  I'm using the G1100 which I purchased the first time I had Fios.  It seems to be in good working order as I haven't had issues at all with all of the other devices connected or wired to it.  

Distance is not a problem.  The unit that struggles is a mere 10 feet away from the G1100.  I have yet to install the second as that is going to be installed a few rooms over and I think I know how that's going to turn out.  

I have moved the mini all around the room to no avail.  I'm at a loss of what this device can't keep a consistent connection to the router. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping this is just a bad unit that I can swap out.  

Again, the minis have really suspect WiFi receivers in them. They almost ALL behave as you reported. The trick is to get a couple of inexpensive WiFi repeaters with ethernet outs and wire them to the minis. That way you are still basically wireless, but not using the receiver in the Mini.

0 Likes
Rilo75
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see. So you're basically adding on better wifi capability to have it do what the mini should be doing on its lonesome.  Wow.  Thanks for the useful tip but a bit disappointing to learn of this.  

I'm not sure how long these devices have been deployed for subscriber use but that really ought to be addressed by Verizon if they want to be truthful with their marketing. The performance is so bad that it shouldn't even be offered as an option.  

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rilo75 wrote:

I see. So you're basically adding on better wifi capability to have it do what the mini should be doing on its lonesome.  Wow.  Thanks for the useful tip but a bit disappointing to learn of this.  

I'm not sure how long these devices have been deployed for subscriber use but that really ought to be addressed by Verizon if they want to be truthful with their marketing. The performance is so bad that it shouldn't even be offered as an option.  

Yep, they seem to work for a few people, but most people here have issues and the extenders seem to handle them. Don't know what can be done to them from a hardware standpoint. AllI can add is they use a hidden 5Ghz SSID the Fios router puts out. Anything that might interfere with that signal will cause issues.