Fios TV One remote and AVR volume control
renpar61

Mi configuration:
Yamaha RX-A780 AVR (inside a cabinet)
LG OLEDC7
Fios TV One
I am obviously not able to control with Yamaha remote, the AVR being in a cabinet, but the LG TV "magic" remote recognizes the AVR (when Sound Out is set to HDMI) and controls the volume through the receiver without problems.

Also the old Fios box remote volume control would work through the AVR as well. I guess it was sending the signal to the TV and the TV to the AVR.

Now I just upgraded the cable box to the new Fios TV One, and its remote programs itself (apparently every time you turn the box on) to control both the TV and the receiver, but it only works with turning AVR on and off with the TV, not the volume, unless I open the cabinet door and it does work (I guess through IR).

I think the issue is how the signal is sent from the remotes (IR vs Bluetooth or HDMI?), and the fact the Fios TV One remote seems to be reprogramming itself every time using HDMI signals (I tried to manually program it bypassing the AVR control and everything works fine until I turn the system off, next time I turn it on it recognizes the AVR again and programs itself to control it).

I hope this is clear enough.
If so, any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Fios TV One remote and AVR volume control
Miketee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It has been my experience and understanding, FIOS remotes do not fully control receivers. Just volume is all I get.

0 Likes
Miketee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Go to Menu > Settings > Voice Control > Fios Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Manual Setup. 

0 Likes
renpar61

I've done the manual setup. It works temporarily but the remote does not retain the setting.

At some point it reverts to auto settings by itself, AFAIK there is not a way to save settings permanently.

Another issue I have now, is that every tme I turn the system on, there is no sound (my guess is that it may be related to HDMI "handshake"). I need to turn off the cable box with another remote (otherwise the Fios remote turns off the whole system and I'm back to square one) and then back on.  Sound is back, but the Fios remote start beeping (the "find me" feature?) until I press a button.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
smitty74

Same issue here using LG PZ750 and Yamaha RX-V471.  When I turn the TV on using the Fios One remote both my TV and receiver turn on...and I can't control the volume using the TV, only the receiver.  If I turn the receiver off, then manually program ONLY my TV...everything works as expected (reflected in the settings menu), and I can control the volume using my TV.  If I turn the TV off...then turn it back on, the remote automatically programs itself for the TV and receiver (reflected in the settings menu) and both the TV and receiver turn on again, I'm back to square one, and I've lost the TV volume control...can only control it via the receiver.   This is really annoying as I don't want to turn the receiver on unless I explicitly do so with the receiver remote, so I can control volume on the TV, not the receiver.  I hope there's a way around this...

Thanks

0 Likes
SoughtWestford

Having the exact same frustrating problem: manual remote setup works great and then it automatically resets on restart to something that does not quite work.

Thus, there is no point to manual remote setup. 

0 Likes
Nothingeverwork

Reset remote setup and don't program the receiver after the tv. You can't switch between. 

0 Likes
Jaydeebeezy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here. So very annoying!!!

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes