Fios TV and Receiver
jp584
Enthusiast - Level 1
I was curious about the best way to wire Verizon STB to my receiver. I know out of my stb I use the hdmi to an input on my tv, however for sound, is it better to go audio L and R out of my stb to audio in on my Receiver or audio out of my tv to audio in on my receiver? I thought that being it has the hdmi cable from the stb which carries both video and good sound signal I could come directly out of my audio outputs on my TV to my amp.
0 Likes
Re: Fios TV and Receiver
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jp584 wrote:
I was curious about the best way to wire Verizon STB to my receiver. I know out of my stb I use the hdmi to an input on my tv, however for sound, is it better to go audio L and R out of my stb to audio in on my Receiver or audio out of my tv to audio in on my receiver? I thought that being it has the hdmi cable from the stb which carries both video and good sound signal I could come directly out of my audio outputs on my TV to my amp.

The best audio connection is HDMI direct to your receiver (if available) and receiver HDMI out to TV.

If that is not available then HDMI to the TV and optical or coaxial audio to the receiver.  Using just L and R audio will only give you stereo or pro-logic.  In order to get full Dolby 5.1 you need a digital source to the receiver.   This assumes your receiver is capable of Dolby 5.1 decoding.

0 Likes
jp584
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thanks for your reply. I guess I will have to go for a new receiver, I do not have any hdmi, coax or optical audio inputs on my receiver, so I guess it does not matter if I use audio L R rca jacks from the stb to the receiver or from the tv to the receiver.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@jp584 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I guess I will have to go for a new receiver, I do not have any hdmi, coax or optical audio inputs on my receiver, so I guess it does not matter if I use audio L R rca jacks from the stb to the receiver or from the tv to the receiver.
One good point is if you go from the audio out of the STB to your reciever, you can listen to music channels with your TV off. Otherwise there should be no difference. With the RCA plugs.
0 Likes
jp584
Enthusiast - Level 1
Good point, I think I will do just that until Christmas (I`ll talk my wife into buying me a receiver for Christmas):smileywink:
0 Likes