quick menu

Fios TV app won’t stream unless connected to Actiontec router

Fios TV app won’t stream unless connected to Actiontec router

Contributor Viewer4
Contributor
Message 1 of 7
(343 Views)

It appears Fios TV will only stream if you are connected directly to the actiontec router without any intervening WiFi extenders.

I have a long apartment that requires me to add WiFi access points to the actiontec router to get coverage throughout the space.  The WiFi on the actiontec is disabled, and the access points are connected via cables to the actiontec Ethernet ports.  The access points are in bridge mode, so no NAT is used between my devices and the actiontec. However, I use a different SSID and password on the APs than on the actiontec. 

Fios TV will show my DVR content, the program guide etc. just fine in this configuration, but will not stream video. It will only work if I connect directly to the actiontec WiFi SSID but not if I am connected to the AP SSID. This seems like a bug or some deliberate and senseless  limitation. 

Anybody else run run into this?

6 REPLIES
Contributor iBlaineman
Contributor
Message 2 of 7
(298 Views)

I had the a simular issue becuase I have WIFI turned off on the FIOS router and have a wireless router as an access point with DHCP recieved from the FIOS router. I didn't see anywhere you could choose a WIFI connection during setup to choose a WIFI connection only the directions to hit the WPS button on the FIOS router. I happen to have a Asus EA-N66 I set to bridge mode and connect VMS4100 mini streamer with eithernet.  Sadly I couln't get the EA-N66 to connect to my 5ghz network so I hope 2.4ghz will be OK but haven't really watched TV on it yet.

MVP CRobGauth MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7
(258 Views)

I have a similar setup.

quantum router with a router set in bridge mode to be a wireless access point.

different ssid.

Can stream DVR content no problem.

have you verified that device and DVR are on same subnet?

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor Viewer4
Contributor
Message 4 of 7
(209 Views)

Thanks.  I checked and it is on the same subnet.  Still mystified.  The app can see the DVR content but the minute I try to stream I get a spinning wheel, and it errors out with "unknown error try again later".

Highlighted
MVP CRobGauth MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7
(204 Views)

Try removing add and reinstalling.

If that still doesn't work, use in app support to create ticket.

It will also send logs to help them diagnose issue.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor Viewer4
Contributor

Thanks everyone for all your help so far.  I have been trying to find time to go through your suggestions but every one has failed so far.

For some reason this is marked at solved.  It is most definitely NOT.  I have tried (a) removing my device and re-adding (b) deleting and reinstalling my app (c) following the in-app help (which rebooted all three STBs).

Nothing works.  So this is definitely NOT SOLVED.

MVP CRobGauth MVP
MVP

There is an option to report issues in the app.

Have you tried that?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

My Fios App
Fios TV App
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios