Fios TV is TERRIBLE. Internet and VoIP is great!
irielime
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a Comcast user for the last 8 years, Fios TV is grating my last nerve.  Over the last 10 months, I have found the internet and VoIP phone to be a little better than comcast.  I pay for the 35 plan with Fios, so I suppose it should be better.

My real issue though is with the TV. On a good day, the HD channels are choppy/skip...that is assuming that they work!  When I call customer service, I have to plan on about an hour.  Tonight, I spent about 90 minutes on hold to finally get to a CSR who told me that he is going to send out a new DVR set top box.  No priority shipping, so it should take a couple of days.  I guess no UFC for my friends or me this weekend...

Fios - turn it around.  You are becoming Comcast.  It isn't a good look for anyone!

Re: Fios TV is TERRIBLE. Internet and VoIP is great!
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is a light on your ont labeled "video". If that light is red or amber there is bad 1550 light to your ont.  Assuming that is not the case, you are gonna need a tech at your home with a meter to check your coax for signal issues or errors. If the problem is in your home wiring you might be charged (same as with electrician, plumber etc.)  but with the proper tools a tech can track the issue down pretty quickly and save you lots of time and hassle.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the TV troubles you are having. The video choppiness you are describing is due to signal problem.

A) If it's just one box experiencing this problem, unscrew the coax cord that goes from the set top box to the cable TV wall outlet. Make sure you unscrew it from both ends. Make sure both tips are straight and clean of oxidation. Screw it back on. If the problem persists, try using a different piece of coax. If you know where your main TV splitter is, unscrew the outgoing feed from it that goes to that room, make sure its straight/clean, then screw back on (if not sure which one goes to that room then do this to all ports on the splitter).

B) If all the boxes has this disruption, then if you know where your main TV splitter is, unscrew the incoming feed from goes into the splitter, make sure its straight/clean, then screw back on (if not sure which one is the incoming then do this to all ports on the splitter).

Please reply back if further help is needed.

0 Likes
lwveri

This is stupid.  I really think the techs like to run people around when it is a basic streaming problem.  Too many people watching, etc.  I have the exact same problem and was told to undo all coax connections and reconnect them.  I have also been told to unplud the HDMI cable in magical order and replug in magical order. All sorts of running up and down stairs, plugging, unplugging, new router, old router, new box, old box.  I think the techs really get creative.  REALLY.  If they'd just admit that they have oversubscribed or that there is temporary trouble, but these problems don't just happen out of nowhere.

Magic fairy dust might help, maybe not.  SICK of the whole process. 

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

@lwveri wrote:

This is stupid.  I really think the techs like to run people around when it is a basic streaming problem.  Too many people watching, etc.  I have the exact same problem and was told to undo all coax connections and reconnect them.  I have also been told to unplud the HDMI cable in magical order and replug in magical order. All sorts of running up and down stairs, plugging, unplugging, new router, old router, new box, old box.  I think the techs really get creative.  REALLY.  If they'd just admit that they have oversubscribed or that there is temporary trouble, but these problems don't just happen out of nowhere.

Magic fairy dust might help, maybe not.  SICK of the whole process. 

FIOS TV is a broadcast signal, not a stream. It doesn't matter if one person or a million is watching, that doesn't effect the service. Video On Demand (VOD) is a stream service. This is not a broadcast signal and is streamed to the individual STB and thus can be effected by the amount of people watching it. There could be a few other things other than amount of subscribers watching VOD though since the stream is sent over the internet connection, through the router, to the STB. Coax connections overtime can become problematic. Reseating the connection, replacing the coax, and resetting the equipment does fix these types of problems. Sorry to hear that you feel that it's made up, magical nonsense.

0 Likes