Fios Tv one mini two separate no signal issues
rogersta
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got a fios tv one box and 4 mini boxes to update from the last generation of boxes which works as it should 

Setup from old to new is exactly the same.

Setup the main box and two mini boxes (3 separate TVs in the same room) upstairs in the entertainment room.  Main box connects to the room receiver (Sony an-stn1080) via HDMI in and then the receiver to tv (lg oled) via HDMI out.   Other two Minis are connected with coaxial (not wireless) and HDMI cables to TVs.   Everything works fine.

First issue.  Downstairs I set up a mini for the den just like the main box upstairs.   Mini connected to coaxial and the HDMI connected to receiver in and HDMI out to tv.   (Same model tv and receiver).  No signal.  Bypassed the receiver and went straight mini to tv - works as it should.   
Disconnected the main upstairs and hooked up to the den receiver/tv - works as it should.   Any ideas on getting the mini and the receiver to work?

Second issue.   Downstairs in the master bedroom connected mini with coaxial cable and HDMI cable in the wall to tv - No signal.  Powered everything down and disconnected all cables to reset HDMI signal.   Still same issue.   Tried a second HDMI cable that runs through the wall as well and still no signal.   Connected a blu ray player via same wall HDMI cables and I get the blue ray signal.   Set up the mini wireless at the tv with an HDMI cable Verizon provided - works as it should.  Any thoughts?

Took all the new stuff out and reinstalled the old stuff like I originally had it and everything works just like it should.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Tv one mini two separate no signal issues
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Are all the TVs 4K? Are all the HDMI cables rated for high speed HDMI? How long are the cable runs in the in-wall setup? When you setup the minis did they all recognize the TVs or receivers?

rogersta
Enthusiast - Level 2

The TVs downstairs are both 4K.

The den tv has high speed cable from the receiver to the tv.   

The bedroom HDMI cables are standard and are about a 12 foot run in the wall.   I used a standard 4ft HDMI when I ran the mini to the tv outside the wall which worked just fine.

I was on the phone with Verizon tech for a few hours and everything was rebooted from their end.  They walked me through all the procedures but in the end could not explain what was going on with either issue.  In the case of the den they could see the hook up from the mini to the Sony receiver, but could not see it going to the tv.    Compatibility issue between the receiver and the mini?   Seems unlikely since the main box when hoooked up works just fine in that setup.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Did you try removing the receiver from the remote program in the problem boxes then manually adding it back in? Is the receiver setup for enhanced video in its input settings?

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

So looking more carefully at your description,  you have 1 setup going through a receiver that doesnt work, and another going through a 12foot HDMI cable that doesnt work. If you eliminate the receiver,  you are ok. That points to a setting in the receiver, like an input or video output setting that is different from your other working setup or an HDMI cable issue. Also are both HDMI cables to and from the receiver high speed HDMI? Can you try swapping the cables from the working receiver to the not working one to eliminate a cable issue? The other setup sounds like an HDMI cable issue. Since it's a simple run from mini to TV, and it works with the short Verizon supplied cable, you must be having an issue with cable bandwidth or length. The bluray player works because its output is 1080 and doesn't require the bandwidth 4K does. Also the bluray player may be capable of driving a longer cable than the Fios mini. Can you first set the minis output to 1080 and see if you get a picture? If so it's a bandwidth problem and you need to replace that cable.

rogersta
Enthusiast - Level 2

Set up high speed 15ft HDMI cable to bedroom tv and got picture with mini box. So wall HDMI cable needs to be replaced.

Den tv with receiver is hooked up with high speed HDMI cables in and out.   No picture.  Tested the mini upstairs on the same tv/receiver setup upstairs and no picture.   I have dug into the Sony receiver settings and found only sound options, no video.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Ok, so we solved one of the two issues. Now it looks like some kind of problem with the receiver. Did you check the input menu to see if the correct options were on? That's a recent receiver, so shouldn't have an HDCP issue. Are both input and output cables high speed certified?

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP
rogersta
Enthusiast - Level 2

Second issue fixed.  Found those additional HDMI settings (standard or enhanced) on the receiver for each individual input and it resolved the video issue with the mini box.  

The receiver setup settings are def not intuitive.  When I initially set up the receiver the first option in the HDMI video setup was to set video resoulution to off or auto, which was set to auto.  That led me to believe the receiver would switch the input resolution without any other further adjustment.   The additional setting for each individual  input is the very last option on the setup screen which does not appear until scrolling all the way down.  This setting should be the very next option after the HDMI auto resolution setting.

Why does the main box work without changing the input setting from standard to enhanced?

Thank you for time and assistance!

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

When you first setup the boxes, they sense the capabilities of the device they are connected to. Apparently the device you hooked the main box up to first was setup as a 1080 device, so that box will work with any device, and doesnt send out a 4K signal. You should check to see if that's the case if it is hooked up to a 4K monitor. Glad we got that all fixed!