Fios Tv remote battery life???
riptor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been using my Fios remote for about 4 months now, and I've been exchanging the batteries quite often; About once a month.

Is this normal, or do I own a defective remote?    Thanks.

(Exchanging batteries this frequently is irritating and becoming expensive.
I can recall my old Directv remote's battery life expectancy was a few months, and it required AAAs!!)

Re: Fios Tv remote battery life???
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Once a month seems excessive.  Are you at least using alkaline batteries?  It would be nice if you could disable the keys lighting up as that probably uses a good percentage of the battery life.
Justin46
Legend

I get probably 3-4 months per set of batteries in mine, and I am an inveterate channel surver so it gets a lot of use. By contrast my wife probably gets 6-9 months from hers, she will watch the same channel for hours, never touching the remote.

As Keyboards asked, what kind of batteries are you using? And have you checked the expiration date on them? I have been using Kirkland brand batteries from Costco for several years, they seem to last pretty good in everything I have put them in.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
riptor
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the replies, Justin and Keyboards!  I'm using Walgreens "heavy duty powercell" batteries. I purchased those batteries about 2 months ago. Exp.date looks fine.

I haven't used regular alkaline batteries yet. I'll try it next. Keyboards, you definitely have a point regarding that ridiculous 5 second "lasting light" feature on the remote. (The battery life could last at least 3 times longer.)

However, interestingly, I can remember the included batteries with my new Fios remote lasted roughly one month as well.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
"Heavy Duty" batteries are old technology carbon / zinc and the ones supplied by Verizon are also that type.  While initially cheaper, I think you will find that alkaline will last much longer.  I use my DVR for time shift viewing so I use the FF, REW, and skip buttons a ton - I hate that there are now 15 minutes of commercial in a typical hour of broadcast - and I get between 3 to 4 months on a battery set.
riptor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Keyboards, I appreciate your enlightening education in the cheaper quality "heavy duty" batteries. I had no idea the battery set included with my new Fios remote was also the same lesser quality batteries.

Your extra personal info about swapping remotes is also very helpful.  I'm growing more confident that alkaline is my simple solution.

Thanks!

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
If its any help. I've been using the Energizer lithium batteries and I usually get between 9-12 months out of mine, and I use it a LOT. everything I do is on the dvr so I'm contantly fastforwarding and pausing and selecting different shows. The batteries are a little more expensive but I'm changing much less often to they end up being cheaper in the long run.
0 Likes
Litezoner
Same, they do only last a month or two, which means we are watching too much **bleep** tv...... lol
0 Likes