Fios and wireless connection restart needed
greener

so I just got the blazing fast Fios last week and love everything about it except about 50% of the time I need to restart my laptop (which is hooked up wireless) in order to connect.  When I initially connect it shows that it is connected but cannot receive anything in a browser.  The remedy is a restart.  but I only need to do this about 50% of the time.

Interestly,  If I am having problems and cannot connect I can still receive a skype ping (but cannot browse to any pages using FF or IE)

I called tech support and they were very nice but did not solve.

Anyone else with this?

rg

0 Likes
Re: Fios and wireless connection restart needed
PJL
Master - Level 3

@greener wrote:

so I just got the blazing fast Fios last week and love everything about it except about 50% of the time I need to restart my laptop (which is hooked up wireless) in order to connect.  When I initially connect it shows that it is connected but cannot receive anything in a browser.  The remedy is a restart.  but I only need to do this about 50% of the time.

Interestly,  If I am having problems and cannot connect I can still receive a skype ping (but cannot browse to any pages using FF or IE)

I called tech support and they were very nice but did not solve.

Anyone else with this?

rg

Sounds like an issue on your laptop.  Can you ping anything outbound?  It sound like the DNS on your laptop is not connecting properly, or the network arp cache is hosed.  If you're using XP or Vista you should be able to "repair" the network connection without having to restart the laptop -- this is essentially what a restart will do for you relative to network issues without having to restart.  Right click on the network icon in the right toolbar area and select Diagnose and Repair. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios and wireless connection restart needed
nickyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two laptop computers on with external purchased wireless driver and one with incorporated driver.

I had a similar issue that was happening to my computer with the external wireless driver. I found that for some reason I had to change the wireless channel in order to get it to work. I changed the channel and now no loner have any problems. You will need to access your routers web site to change the settings of the channel to see if that helps.

0 Likes