Re: Sound Bar volume decreases with any press on cable remote
DirkDaring
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having same issue vizio tv and soundbar and with every button press on fios remote it changes soundbar volume.  Using hdmi arc tv to soundbar. I have an older qip 7232 set top box no voice remote.

0 Likes
Re: Fios remote turning up Vizio Soundbar with any button
DirkDaring
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think it's cec. I unplugged my hdmi arc from the vizio m21 soundbar and it still responds to fios button presses increasing or decreasing the volume based on most recent volume change (I see the soundbar leds change).   I think vizio is responding to fios IR codes which is incredulous... but that doesn't explain why for two weeks things were working for the original poster.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DirkDaring wrote:

I'm having same issue vizio tv and soundbar and with every button press on fios remote it changes soundbar volume.  Using hdmi arc tv to soundbar. I have an older qip 7232 set top box no voice remote.

Sounds like a recent Vizio update that changed the remote coding in some way. The Newer voice remote and the older remote you have both use the same codesets, so it has to be the soundbar since the codes in your remote can't be updated. Only other thing would be to try disconnecting the HDMI cable to the soundbar and see if the volume still changes. That would rule out CEC and ARC issues and would place the blame on the soundbar itself.

lmk99

I am having the same exact issue and not sure what to do. Has anyone found a way to fix this issue yet?

I currently have my Vizio soundbar connected to the ARC in the TV and Fios connected to the TV.

My remote is not a voice activation remote, it is the VZ P265v5.  I noticed if I put the volume where I want and then shut off the tv and fios box and restart without touching the volume I can then use the remote without the volume either increasing or decreasing.  This is definitely not a solution 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lmk99 wrote:

I am having the same exact issue and not sure what to do. Has anyone found a way to fix this issue yet?

I currently have my Vizio soundbar connected to the ARC in the TV and Fios connected to the TV.

My remote is not a voice activation remote, it is the VZ P265v5.  I noticed if I put the volume where I want and then shut off the tv and fios box and restart without touching the volume I can then use the remote without the volume either increasing or decreasing.  This is definitely not a solution 

This is looking more and more like a problem with the Vizio soundbar itself. No one else with any other brand has reported this issue. The fact you are using the P265 remote, which can't be software upgraded and it is not functioning correctly shows it is not the remote itself. as I said, has the soundbar had a firmware update recently? Which APR version does your Fios box have? Did you try turning the Fios box off and seeing if the remote correctly controls the soundbar volume?

lmk99

Thank you for replying.  I am not sure if there was a firmware update as I just received this soundbar and TV for christmas, I assume it is all up to date.  I don't know. 

My APR is version 7.5, I've tried shutting off the box and it still acts up.  If I shut it off and then turn it back on without touching the volume button it works great, once I adjust the volume the issue starts.  So strange.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lmk99 wrote:

Thank you for replying.  I am not sure if there was a firmware update as I just received this soundbar and TV for christmas, I assume it is all up to date.  I don't know. 

My APR is version 7.5, I've tried shutting off the box and it still acts up.  If I shut it off and then turn it back on without touching the volume button it works great, once I adjust the volume the issue starts.  So strange.

Just for fun, try adjusting the volume with the Vizio remote first and see if the soundbar does the same thing. Sounds to me Vizio messed up their firmware. You should contact them and ask for a fix. This actually happens more frequently than you would imagine.

DirkDaring
Enthusiast - Level 2

BLUF: Vizio soundbar enters mode where it will partially acknowledge FIOS remote commands with the effect of 'repeating' the previous soundbar command action on FIOS remote button push
Hardware: Vizio m21d-h8 connect HDMI ARC with CEC enabled to 2018 PQ65-F1 Vizio tv. FIOS remote is a p265v5 for an older QIP 7232 FIOS HD STB
Workaround (this worked for me YMMV)
1)FIOS remote: Resest remote to factory. Program with FIOS TV code.
2) Soundbar: Reset to factory settings. Put soundbar into 'Disable use of VIZIO TV remote' mode. This will make the soundbar ignore volume adjustments with your VIZIO TV remote and FIOS volume buttons..but those actions will be accomplished through the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) interface. The soundbar will still accept remote commands from the Vizio soundbar remote.
3) Enable CEC on Vizio TV. TV should discover soundbar...volume adjustments will work with FIOS remote or Vizio TV remote..and other FIOS remote keys should not change soundbar settings/volume/etc.
Issues: Soundbar seems to ignore 'MUTE' over CEC when commanding TV. TV goes to MUTE but not soundbar. This would indicate an incompatibility with the TV CEC firmware and the soundbar firmware (please fix VIZIO!). There is a workaround but it brings to bear the original issue. You can use the Vizio soundbar remote, or 'teach' the soundbar the IR code for MUTE command from your FIOS remote. However this creates the bad behavior with repeat command. A MUTE press on the FIOS remote commands the TV AND soundbar (IR) with MUTE command. Somewhere in the handling of the CEC command and the IR command the soundbar gets into a mode where any further FIOS button presses (channel up, last channel, play, pause etc) with make the soundbar repeat the last command it handled (ie a MUTE in this case, or a volume change that most others have experienced.) For some reason the soundbar is at least partially accepting FIOS IR codes and interpreting the code as a 'repeat previous command' action. To get out of this bizarre mode...send a valid CEC command from the TV (ie volume up/down in my case..as I only taught the soundbar to recognize a MUTE IR command and ignore others.)

ssk299

I am still dealing with this issue as it sounds like many of you are...Today I contacted fios (no help) and called Vizio...I was able to update the firmware on my soundbar to the latest and it did nothing.  I am still having this issue.  

0 Likes
ssk299

Ok all Vizio confirmed it is probably a coding issue between the sound bar and the remote.  No way to fix this. Returning my sound bar this week.

0 Likes