Fios screen (TV) goes black, but I still have audio
JuniorAC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed this for the first time earlier this week, I changed the channel..I had a picture for about 2-3 seconds and the screen went completely black - but I still had audio.  I simply went back to my last channel and had a picture again. (At first I honestly thought my new TV was starting to act up. No, not the case)

Last night (Mar. 20) I went to access my "On Demand" - which is always a joy on my DVR -sarcasm, it always has been sloooow loading on my DVR - and poof, my DVR shutdown and did a reboot.

Since then, I will change channels, screen will go black. (Thankfully it is NOT my TV, I hit Menu and see that...but no picture) So I literally have to go back to last channel, then go back again to watch what I want to watch. 

Any suggestions, last time I called Verizon for DVR issues like a looping reboot - they would fix it by clearing cache - , hard reboot from their end. Calling now, well the wait time is long. I get it...most everyone is home, LOT of tv watching, perhaps more issues and tech support is needed.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios screen (TV) goes black, but I still have audio
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

First I'd unplug power from the box for 2 minutes or so then power it up and let it reload. After that check all your coax connections,  make sure they are tight. You can also go into menu> customer support >Top support tools>Connected device status and make sure connections show good connections. Also you can try menu> customer support >Top support tools>Reboot STB. You might also try a different HDMI cable from box to tv.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

First I'd unplug power from the box for 2 minutes or so then power it up and let it reload. After that check all your coax connections,  make sure they are tight. You can also go into menu> customer support >Top support tools>Connected device status and make sure connections show good connections. Also you can try menu> customer support >Top support tools>Reboot STB. You might also try a different HDMI cable from box to tv.

JuniorAC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the reply. Yep I ended up unplugging it for a good 5 minutes, checked the HDMI cable. That seemed to fix the screen blackness issue for now. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd keep an eye on the HDMI cable more than anything. I see either a new cable or a bad HDMI Jack in your future....

pzulw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reboot every time!?  That's not a solution.

NOT SOLVED

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pzulw wrote:

Reboot every time!?  That's not a solution.

NOT SOLVED

I believe he only rebooted once, changed the HDMI cable and all  was well. I doubt he had to reboot EVERY time he turned his TV on and was satisfied with that, I wouldn't be. Are you having the same issue?

rovango

I am having this issue. It’s been going on for two months. If I watch TV with FiOs but then switch to a different app on my smart TV to Hulu or even video games on a console, then go back to Fios, it won’t work. I have to go to the app and reboot the STB every single day. It’s getting ridiculous. Is there a permanent fix or do I need a new STB?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rovango wrote:

I am having this issue. It’s been going on for two months. If I watch TV with FiOs but then switch to a different app on my smart TV to Hulu or even video games on a console, then go back to Fios, it won’t work. I have to go to the app and reboot the STB every single day. It’s getting ridiculous. Is there a permanent fix or do I need a new STB?

Try turning off the Fios box before you switch to the apps on the TV. Then turn it back on AFTER you switch back to it.

Gdad

I HAVE THIS SAME ISSUE. WAS IT EVER RESOLVED? REBOOTING EVERYTIME I WATCH FIOS TV IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Gdad wrote:

I HAVE THIS SAME ISSUE. WAS IT EVER RESOLVED? REBOOTING EVERYTIME I WATCH FIOS TV IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

ARE YOU TURNING OFF THE BOX BEFORE YOU SWITCH INPUTS ON THE TV? AND PLEASE DON'T USE ALL CAPS!