Flashing DU1 code HDMI problem with QIP6416-2 STB
fxdude

On the morning of March 9th I found that my TV was not getting an HDMI signal from my DVR STB (QIP7416-2).  The display alternated between the time/channel and "DU1" (or "DUl"?) I rebooted several times and then waited until the evening hoping the problem would go away, but it didn't . Called tech support and went through all the reset steps.  Tech person concluded it was a bad box and has arranged to send out another. When I asked about existing recorded shows she basically said I would lose them.

I experimented with pulling various cables and then discovered that when I removed the HDMI cable, the "du1" code went away. If I used the component cables instead, I got a picture. I did find mention of this HDMI "handshaking" issue in several forums where the "du1" code was mentioned.

I noticed that a media guide update was pushed at midnight on March 9th. This seems very coincidental. Could this update have caused the problem with the HDMI handshake?  If so, is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole STB (and thus losing my shows)?

What really annoys me is that the first tech I spoke with told me that the two techs with whom I spoke did not know that the du1 code was related to HDMI, yet a quick Google search clued me in. If the woman who told me I was **bleep** until I got the new box understood the problem, she could have told me to just use the component cables for now. If I wind up using the new box, hopefully the mysterious "beep" problem goes away too.

0 Likes
Re: Flashing DU1 code HDMI problem with QIP6416-2 STB
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Actually, the code is DVI (as closely as the STB can display on a 7 segment display) which is when the STB tires to negotiate the HDMI handshake with your TV..

Yes it is possible that the update caused this issue (was supposed to address some lingering HDMI issues) and the only way around it is to continue using component cables.  It seems that every time a new update to "fix" some problems is released, it causes new ones.  Unfortunately, there is no way to request a roll back of the IMG to 1.7 from 1.71.

0 Likes
fxdude

As I mentioned, Verizon seemed to have no clue that this could be related to the IMG 1.71 update or HDMI in general. They think it's just the box itself so they sent out a new one. So assuming the IMG 1.71 update caused this problem, the new box won't work with my HDMI either assuming it will have the update. We'll see. I realize that component works fine with HD, but my components are already occupied on my TV. 

I agree that updates often seem to "break" things. Hitting the skip key used to bring up the elapsed time status so I could see where I was as I skipped forward. They got rid of that with one of the updates. I complained, but it's still missing. You'd think they could make their DVR work at least as well as my almost 10 year old ReplayTV.

Verizon just sent me a notice saying my rates are going up $10/month. So I'll be paying more for broken features. Cablevision has sent no fewer than 3 salespeople to my house and bombarded me with mail. Seriously thinking about going back to them.

0 Likes
thiswateredone

I'm sure you've probably done this, but in case not, have you tried another HDMI device hooked up to your TV to rule out a possible issue with your television?

Only say this cause a couple weeks ago I had an issue with where my TV just lost the HDMI signal.  Although it did not flash that code as you say, it would not display through HDMI.  I called VZ assuming it was a bad box and received a new one only to find that the new box did not work through HDMI as well.  After hooking up my PS3 to the set I found that the TV was the issue not the STB.

I had to have the internal board replaced and all is fine again.

good luck

0 Likes
NJRocks

Same thing happened to me on March 9th.  It must be due to the new IMG 1.71 upgrade.  Got verizon to send me a new set top box which did NOT fix the problem.   On doing my research, seems the only way to fix the problem is changing to component video cables.  Reluctant to do this right now.  Why can't you go backwards to the IMG 1.7?  That seemed to be working completely normally.  Do you think Verizon is going to come up with a fix for this issue?  I'm getting fed-up with the FIOS hassles I've had to deal with.. I think a $10 extra monthly charge would push me to switch providers.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I've always been curious if this would work for your guys situation with the DVI or DUI error message.

Don't use the remote control but while the box is powered ON go upto the front display and hit power once, and then select once, and then menu.   so power - select - menu

that should pull up user settings menu.   once you have that up you should see a "additional hdmi settings" section that you can use your down cursor to get to, and then hit select to choose it.  and then try flipping it from hdmi to dvi and see if that does anything,  

*fair warning*

it may black out your screen entirely.   there is a way to restore defaults, but it might be scary if you aren't getting a picture.   what happens is the front display of the stb shows your user settings abbreviated.   so if your screen blacks out, just do the same sequence - power select and menu  and then hit the down arrow until you see restore or some kind of abbreviation for that.   and then a restore defaults takes like a minute or two so be patient while it resets and gives you your picture back. 

0 Likes
NJRocks

Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm unable to find the "additional HDMI settings".  On my menu, under settings I see multiple headings which include "Television" and "Video Settings".  Nowhere is "Additional HDMI settings".  I looked under all the folders.  I've played around with video format and it makes no difference.  Also, referring to previous entry - I have tried other HDMI devices, including blu-ray, apple tv, and xbox 360.  They all work.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the menu that I am talking about is not under the fios menu,  it can only be accessed by the user menu in the stb itself. so it's not a fancy menu, it looks like a white page with black lettering.   and you have to do the power - select -  menu buttons like I described.   did you do that, and are you saying that under there, you don't find the additional hdmi settings?

0 Likes
NJRocks

Sorry to dilute this post.  No I must've been on a different menu (was on the FIOS menu).   When the stb is on and I press power, then select, then menu all that happens is the cable box goes back on.  I cannot find this white page you are speaking of.  I even tried combinations of holding down the buttons.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

its definetly power (count 1 1thousand) select (2 1thousand) and menu not super slow, but count it out casually and that should get you there, maybe try different speeds of clicking those, but don't do em all at once, it will definetly pop on. 

you should be starting with the stb in an ON position.   and so when you hit power it turns it off, then you hit select, and then menu.

Most people have to do it 4-6 times before they get the right rhythm down. 

0 Likes