Four dashes and no time on two STBs
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last evening I lost my connection to FIOS TV on all three STBs.  There was a message that the station was temporarily unavailable,  There was a solution that said to press the "B" button on my remote to reset the box.  I did that on two of the STBs.  The DVR came back with 4 dashes - no time.  The other just has a screen stating "Starting Up ... One moment Please".  The third set top box where I did not follow the reboot suggestion of home agent reconnected in a few hours and I have FIOS TV.

Called tech support and they tried sending a signal but it did not work.  Am being told there is an "outage" in Manhattan and others who tried to reboot the box have the same issue.  The outage is the lost connection to the FIOs server.  Said that Central office will send a signal to correct the problem in a couple of hours. I have been told this since 10PM yesterday.  They also said the instruction from the home agent to reboot was the cause the problem.

I "ggogled" and others with this problem in the past but never a solution except replacing the STB.

Anyone else with this issue?  Does anyone know if it can be resolved by the Central office or will I need a replacement for two STBs?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Four dashes and no time on two STBs
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good news: This morning both STGs were working well.  It appears that Central fixed my problem and similar ones overnight.  Have tried to cancel shipment of STGs.  Will return if they arrive. 

Lesson: First call two days ago to a tech gave a correct assessment that there was a TV station outage.  Second call also correct that tthe TV station outage was fixed but there was an new outage caused by customers who tried rebooting their STG during the station outage.  That caused a loss of contact with the server.  I was told that would be fixed in a few hours. However when I called late yesterday afternoon I was told they were not aware of an existing outage and felt it was probably wireing or my STG. I expect there was some confusion about which outage was fixed and which was outstanding and the plan for a solution.  it appears that the plan was to fix the outage overnight - which they did. 

It would be useful if My Verizon listed an outage in my area and the nature of the outage and when it was expected to be corrected.  I expect the technology to provide localized notices exisits.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: After several conversations with tech. support - all of who were very professional and tried to initialize or somehow comunicate with the two HD stds and could  not - they are sending me two replacement stds of the same model.  I should have them tommorrow.

Initially they suggested sending a "rolling" tech this evening but the tech I spoke with was not sure if there would be a charge.  Given I have only had FIOs for 3 weeks I don't wish to pay for a new product which is not working.  I don't understand how billing for tech. services works at FIOs.  With TWC it was not an issue.  But they had other problems with older technology.

If the replacement boxes work I will post so that anyone with a similar problem may try this solution.

0 Likes
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good news: This morning both STGs were working well.  It appears that Central fixed my problem and similar ones overnight.  Have tried to cancel shipment of STGs.  Will return if they arrive. 

Lesson: First call two days ago to a tech gave a correct assessment that there was a TV station outage.  Second call also correct that tthe TV station outage was fixed but there was an new outage caused by customers who tried rebooting their STG during the station outage.  That caused a loss of contact with the server.  I was told that would be fixed in a few hours. However when I called late yesterday afternoon I was told they were not aware of an existing outage and felt it was probably wireing or my STG. I expect there was some confusion about which outage was fixed and which was outstanding and the plan for a solution.  it appears that the plan was to fix the outage overnight - which they did. 

It would be useful if My Verizon listed an outage in my area and the nature of the outage and when it was expected to be corrected.  I expect the technology to provide localized notices exisits.

0 Likes
JNYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: New outage in Manhattan at 10 PM today.  This time I will ignore the advise to reboot all three STBs.

0 Likes