Free Replacement of QIP6200 and QIP6416 STBs
Justin46
Legend

If you have a QIP6200 STB or QIP6416 DVR you may be eligble for a free replacement, depending on what TV programming package you have (and the programming package is not identified). QIP7xxx and Cisco boxes do not qualify for free replacement.

There is now a new option in the Menu on the STB about getting a free replacement for your old QIP6xxx boxes because Verizon is going to start delivering new HD channels using a technology that the 6xxx boxes do not support. You can find information here:

Menu ==> Customer Support ==> In-Home Agent ==> Set Top Box Exchange

In the text displayed there is a tiny bit of info and a test to see if any of your STBs qualify, but it also tells you to go to:

Menu ==> Customer Support ==> Help Topics ==> Set Top Box Exchange

Where there are a lot of questions and answers. One of the answers says that if you try to tune one of the affected channels with a QIP6xxx box you will be notified at that point that you can get a free replacement. But again, the affected programming package is not identified, it may be something that very few poeple have, I have no idea.

I encourage you to go there and check to see if you can get a replacement DVR, the 6416 DVR especially is a dog with IMG 1.9. Note that you will lose any recordings you have on your existing DVR if you do the exchange, but I believe you will find any replacement DVR to be a big improvement over the 6416.

Keller, TX 76248

Re: Free Replacement of QIP6200 and QIP6416 STBs
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

In order to get the free replacement, you must (as of this writing) be a subscriber to MLB Extra Innings. The reason for this is that MLB Extra Innings channels are transmitted using MPEG-4 .h264, which the QIP-6xxx set-top boxes do not support.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@UnnDunn wrote:

In order to get the free replacement, you must (as of this writing) be a subscriber to MLB Extra Innings. The reason for this is that MLB Extra Innings channels are transmitted using MPEG-4 .h264, which the QIP-6xxx set-top boxes do not support.

Thanks for that info. Is that info somewhere on a Verizon web page or in an email or something? I have seen absolutely nothing about it from Verizon other than what is on the STBs.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

Justin, I haven't heard anything from Verizon either, but it's been all over DSL Reports (see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27043947-MLB-Extra-Innings-HD-channels), Be patient when you read the thread -- MP4 isn't mentioned for quite a few pages as I recall.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@PJL wrote:

Justin, I haven't heard anything from Verizon either, but it's been all over DSL Reports (see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27043947-MLB-Extra-Innings-HD-channels), Be patient when you read the thread -- MP4 isn't mentioned for quite a few pages as I recall.

Oh yeah, I also saw it there. But I take a lot of the stuff I see there with many grains of salt, even stuff from Matt has been wrong in the past, and he claims to have very reliable contacts and inside info.

If that is what it is, and I have absolutely no reason or facts to doubt it, why in the world didn't Verizon say that up front in the text on the STBs? It would make things much clearer. And if this is just the first step they could say that also. It is totally mystifying to me why Verizon feels the need to be so secretive and vague in their announcements; I do understand why they want to keep future stuff hidden, but they really, really need to learn to tell the whole story when they make an annoucement, they are just hurting themselves and look stupid for no good reason.

I appreciate your input also. If I could I would go back and edit my original post to add the MLB Extra Innings info but I can't, fortunately UnnDunn's post is right after mine to clarify.

Keller, TX 76248

UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

If you are a MLB Extra Innings subscriber with a 6xxx series HD box, and you try to view one of the affected channels, you will receive a prompt that will take you to the STB Free Replacement screen.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@UnnDunn wrote:

If you are a MLB Extra Innings subscriber with a 6xxx series HD box, and you try to view one of the affected channels, you will receive a prompt that will take you to the STB Free Replacement screen.

Thanks. Unfortunately, actually fortunately, I have a 7232 and two 7100-P2 boxes, so I am not going to get the message. When I found the option I ran it just to see what it said, I knew that whatever the reason for it I would not qualify since I have their most current hardware.

I guess that, based on their experience with this (limted?) base of customers, Verizon will gain some experience and be better prepared to handle a larger volume when they roll out other channels using MPEG-4. I wonder how many people sign up for the MLB Extra Innings offering? Whatever the number is, I hope Verizon gets some good experience with both the exchange program and using MPEG-4.

Keller, TX 76248

CanIHelpYou

At this time you must be subscribed to MLB Extra Innings to qualify for this equipment exchange. Moving forward the list will become extensive, so listing the impacted programming is not practical.

As Verizon adds more MPEG4 programming to other packages, subscribing customers will become eligible for swapping out their Motorola 6xxx boxes.

Verizon has chosen to add MPGE4 content to niche packages, so most customers are not eligible for the equipment exchange.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Discovery Communications has initiated a project to convert its five MPEG-2 HD channels -- Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Planet Green -- to the more efficient MPEG-4 format in two waves, to save satellite transponder space.

The programmer is distributing Motorola Mobility's DSR-6401 (single channel) and DSR-6402 (two channels) integrated receiver/decoders for the transition. The IRDs provide automatic transcoding from MPEG-4 to MPEG-2, which is the predominant format used in cable set-top boxes.

"We've gotten to a place with our capacity where we're interested in increasing the efficiency of our [satellite] transponders," said Glenn Oakley, executive vice president of Discovery's Media Technology, Production and Operations group.

Other programmers have undertaken initiatives to migrate HD channels to MPEG-4 include ESPN, which moved its HD services to the format in June 2011. MPEG-4 uses approximately half the bandwidth as the older MPEG-2 standard.

Starting Monday, April 9, Discovery launched MPEG-4 HD feeds of Animal Planet and Science, while keeping the MPEG-2 versions on the existing transponder. As of July 1, the programmer will stop distributing the two MPEG-2 HDs.

In the second phase starting Sept. 1, Discovery plans to light up MPEG-4 feeds of Discovery HD, TLD HD and Planet Green HD (which will be rebranded "Destination America" on May 28). Those legacy MPEG-2 HDs will be retired Dec. 31.

Discovery already distributes five other HD networks in MPEG-4: ID, Hub, OWN, 3net and BBC America. Following the final cutover at the end of 2012, two of the company's six satellite transponders will be fully MPEG-4.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/483025-Discovery_Starts_MPEG_4_Migration_For_Five_HD_Services.ph...

Looks like a lot of channels will be starting to move this direction.

tns
Master - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Discovery Communications has initiated a project to convert its five MPEG-2 HD channels -- Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Planet Green -- to the more efficient MPEG-4 format in two waves, to save satellite transponder space.

Looks like a lot of channels will be starting to move this direction.

A lot more channels then Discovery have already converted to Mpeg-4,  This has caused Verizon to have to add hardware to convert them.

Some that have done so, and there are lots of others, are

All ESPN (note they only send out Mpeg-4 HD so even to send out SD verizon has to convert those as well)

All HBO and Cinemax  (although last I checked a few were sent out both as mpeg-4 and mpeg-2)

0 Likes