Freezing and issues on STB Model QIP7216
Internetkid

So I've had Verizon FIOS now almost a year. I'm on a QIP7216 STB running version 1.7.

I've been experiencing problems in the following areas;

• Recorded programs freeze upon play back. STB also seems to freeze momentarily hang until last command can process/complete itself.

• These same programs (sometimes not all the time) can experience pixelazation

• Multi-Room DVR playback on recorded programs also do the same. The recorded event seems to have been recorded with the freezing in the recorded session. Therefore any playback of that recorded item experiences the freezing.

• Regular program playback intermittently experiences freezing (just watching TV sometimes I experience freezing)

• Recorded programs (sometimes) are recorded in chunks where up to 4 events appear as the same recorded event. The program is chopped up and divided over several listings with random lengths. (this appears to be some sort of reset on the STB and it goes back into record mode once it resets)

Background Story: All this occurred after I requested and placed an order for Verizon to move my STB HD DVR from one side of my house to another. At the time of the placed order request was made I was asked by service person on the phone if I wanted to experienced HBO/Cinimax for 3 months free. I said yes (That was where things went bad)

Possible Solution and Resolution: Here is what I think happened based off what I've found in the Fourm and what I've troubleshoot myself. I found out when I had my STB's installed I had too high of a Coax Signal (Called SNR for you Verizon Techies) coming into the STB's (Common install issue!!!) Contractors who do the installs do not check for this. Typically FIOS Signal coming into house terminated with a very high signal strength, this signal is call SNR signal, If your SNR is too high you have to place attenuators on the end of your COAX before plugging into your STB. The signal strength must be approx -6db my STB's ranged from +18 to +8. I have 3 STB's in my house. After placing the Attenuators on the signal registered just under -1 almost -2. Second Possible Solution that seems to have resolved my problems: I noticed that once my HBO/Cinimax order went through I started to notice the Freezing began. I found in the Forum that this is caused by a problem where the STB holds on to old codes after the programming is upgraded. To fix this you need to call support Request the TECH perform a Soft INIT (Not a Hard INIT this will cause you to lose all your DVR Programs However, if they are crappy and messed up from Freezing you'll most likely have to erase them anyways) (Don't do the reset over the web, this Soft INIT is a different Init) The soft INIT will cause the codes to come back down to your STB and program your STB for the proper programming.

0 Likes
Re: Freezing and issues on STB Model QIP7216
VZ_Frank
Contributor - Level 2

Hello Internetkid ,

For your possible solutions and resolution you are on the right track.  The issue I see with what you have done is putting the attenuators on the end of the coax.  With Fios, a lot of the features run on moca (multimedia over coax alliance).  The attenuators  at the end of the coax prevent the moca from flowing properly. To prevent this place the attenuators  on the feed or input going to the main splitter, or to each splitter that feed your stbs.  This will eliminate pixelation on vod, mrdvr.  Another option is to replace the main splitter with a splitter that has more db loss to it (ie: 6 or 8 prt splitter)  this will most likely eliminate the need for attenuators. 

0 Likes
Internetkid
Well it looks like I still have more work to do. The last HD recorded program I did occurred during the day while away from the house. Looked a the recording and approx 6 or 7 mins into the 1 hour show it started to freeze. I could not FF or RW through the event would not work it skipped to the end or the beginning of the program. However, there is some good news I currently recording two events at the same time and I'm not locking and freezing. My problem is do I get another attenuator or splitter?
0 Likes
VZ_Frank
Contributor - Level 2

Hello Internetkid

I would get a lager splitter instead of another attenuator because splitters are more durable than attenuators.  Just remember if you do get a 6 or 8 port splitter you are going to what to cap the ports that are not in use to prevent signal loss.  Make sure the splitter is bi-directional and at least 1000mhz. 

0 Likes