Freezing and pixilation on certain hd channels
baxter981
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello! I’m hoping I can look here for answers! Within the last year or so my fios tvs have started having intermittent freezing and pixelation only on a handful of high DEF channels. Nothing has changed about my set up – same Internet, cables, TV, router, you name it! It’s been the same set up for 10 years. Only the channels in the 500s have this issue which unfortunately are the ones that I watch the most. When I watch the low-def version of the channels I have no issue at all. It happens on both of my set top boxes. The issue comes and goes and is worse sometimes than others. I can’t find any rhyme or reason except that it is limited to only the channels and the 500-600 range. I have done troubleshooting with FiOS a few different times and keep getting different issues which would cause this. We have rebooted routers, checked every wire and connection, and have been told 1). that it is because my system is running on the back up battery instead of power through an outlet

2). it is because my router is old. It was replaced in 2016 with a new one.

3). The set top boxes are old. 
4). Faulty wiring. 

to even get a technician in my house will be a minimum of $100 so I’m hoping maybe there are solutions I can try from here?!

Om another note – this does not affect any of my streaming services or on demand. Just the hi DEF cable channels which are mostly my local abc, nbc, nesn, etc. Channels like Bravo, CNN and the cable “lifestyle” channels are fine. 

please help!!

thank you in advance!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Freezing and pixilation on certain hd channels
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@BeckyH wrote:

Hello! I’m hoping I can look here for answers! Within the last year or so my fios tvs have started having intermittent freezing and pixelation only on a handful of high DEF channels. Nothing has changed about my set up – same Internet, cables, TV, router, you name it! It’s been the same set up for 10 years. Only the channels in the 500s have this issue which unfortunately are the ones that I watch the most. When I watch the low-def version of the channels I have no issue at all. It happens on both of my set top boxes. The issue comes and goes and is worse sometimes than others. I can’t find any rhyme or reason except that it is limited to only the channels and the 500-600 range. I have done troubleshooting with FiOS a few different times and keep getting different issues which would cause this. We have rebooted routers, checked every wire and connection, and have been told 1). that it is because my system is running on the back up battery instead of power through an outlet

4). Faulty wiring. 

to even get a technician in my house will be a minimum of $100 so I’m hoping maybe there are solutions I can try from here?!

Om another note – this does not affect any of my streaming services or on demand. Just the hi DEF cable channels which are mostly my local abc, nbc, nesn, etc. Channels like Bravo, CNN and the cable “lifestyle” channels are fine. 

please help!!

thank you in advance!!

I'd look at the splitters in the system. They DO go bad, and would cause the issues you are seeing. Get some MoCa 2.0 certified splitters and replace any you can find. Also it COULD be bad wiring, check or replace the coax from the ONT to the first splitter first, then look farther down stream. You could also try moving the main box to another location to see if that clears things up. Did anyone check your ONT to see if it needed to be replaced? If it has a backup battery it is pretty old, and may be on its last legs.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@BeckyH wrote:

4). Faulty wiring. 

please help!!

thank you in advance!!

I'd look at the splitters in the system. They DO go bad, and would cause the issues you are seeing. Get some MoCa 2.0 certified splitters and replace any you can find. Also it COULD be bad wiring, check or replace the coax from the ONT to the first splitter first, then look farther down stream. You could also try moving the main box to another location to see if that clears things up. Did anyone check your ONT to see if it needed to be replaced? If it has a backup battery it is pretty old, and may be on its last legs.

baxter981
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion of the splitters! I’ll give it a go. My ONT is over 10 years old so it could be that too. I don’t seem to be having issues with my Wi-Fi, but I’m not that tech savvy and don’t know if it’s super slow or not. I will replace the splitters and go from there 🙂 thanks again!