Frustrating DVR Problem
bstanfordb
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all... it takes a long time to fast forward... even when you press it twice and it's going faster than when you press it once.  It still takes several minutes to fast forward an hour or two into the program... and then when you get there... it's FROZEN.

Sometimes it'll just go back about an hour earlier in the program too... after you just spent 15 minutes fast forwarding 20 ahead at a time and then pressing play so it doesn't freeze up on you.

So is it my box... or is this common.  I just want to watch the 4th quarter of tonight's Packer game... but it looks like it's not going to happen unless I watch it from the begining. 

0 Likes
Re: Frustrating DVR Problem
uscharalph
Same thing happened to me, except during the Raider game.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I don't know if it is common or not, but I can tell you that I have never had mine freeze up like that. I have had it hang up and refuse all commands when a recorded program has somehow gotten corrupted, the only recourse is to pull the power plug (and then go in a delete the recording without trying to play it).

On my FiOS DVR I have three forward/rewind speeds - 2, 3, and 4 triangles. The fastest appears to be about 1 minute advance per second. I am still at the 1.5 level of the IMG, I don't know whether this might have changed in the 1.6 level.

If you haven't done so already, you might try unplugging your DVR for 10-15 seconds and plug it back in. This DVR appears to be very fragile about getting its operation corrupted, and removing the power from the box seems to fix it pretty frequently. If that doesn't work, you can call the FSC and ask them to reset the DVR, but this might cause you to lose scheduled recordings, etc. (I don't know, I have never had to have the FSC reset my DVR).

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
Keller, TX

0 Likes
HokiePerogi
Enthusiast - Level 2

bstanfordb,

I have the same type of issue while fast forwarding through shows.  When I try to watch Big Brother and fast forward or 30-second skip through any commercials in the second half of the show, my HD STB will send me back to near the beginning of the show.  I'm playing the show on a HD non-DVR box by streaming it from the DVR.

I believe there are a few other threads on this.  I'm actually researching this issue myself before calling Verizon to ask from a refund of my Media Center DVR fee until it's fixed.
0 Likes