Future Home Media DVR Functionality
Quasar

Does Verizon ever share pruduct futures?

I'd be most curious in:

1.  If they were ever planning to Allow another DH DVR (not the HD STB) access a home media DVR to stream content from it. 

2.  If they would ever support connection to standard uPnP AV servers ling Twonky or Windows Media Connect.

Quasar

0 Likes
Re: Future Home Media DVR Functionality
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

#1.  This is probably way way way on the back burner.  I seriously doubt they will make this happen any time soon.  It sure would be nice, but I'd rather see larger hard drive capacities first before they add this to their feature set.

#2.  I doubt this will ever happen.  They are desperately trying to get their Media Manager software worked out so it will share videos from your PC and possibly stream youtube/video content as well.  It's been in beta mode for quite some time and I don't even think that version is really useful.  IMO, I'd rather they ditch Media Manager all together and go with your idea to just support DLNA/uPnP.  There are plenty of media server software available that are much better than Media Manager, so why waste time with something proprietary?

0 Likes
Re: Future Home Media DVR Functionality
Quasar

Couldn't agree with you more...

External HD definitely a priority

DLNA/uPNP is a standard and would provide more value to the customer then a proprietary Media Manager that verizon has to develop and maintain.  Then how hard could it be to allow all STB to be uPnP AV Clients or Servers creating true services mesh...

The funny thing is that both of these things should be relatively simple to execute (External HD, DLNA/uPNP AV) if they choose to go this direction!

Q

0 Likes