Fuzzy HD picture vs clear SD picture
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

I've noticed that with *some* (haven't id'd all the channels) the HD pic is fuzzy whereas the equivalent SD pic is quite clear.  e.g. - A&E

It was bad enough that I had to switch to SD to watch the program (Law & Order: SVU)

Connection via HDMI

FIOS bundle installed yesterday.

0 Likes
Re: Fuzzy HD picture vs clear SD picture
ksoza1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me may answer but..

I suspect the content you are watching is upverting SD sourced content and that conversion process may not be so kind to some material.  The SD presentation may look better as it is in it's native format.  I have found some programs that I prefer on the SD channel as the HD channel of the same show is done poorly or just does not take will to a crappy upvert.  This is a source content or post procesing  issue, wlthough the Verizon injected soft SD 1.6.0 issue may not be a factor here.

0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@ksoza wrote:

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me may answer but..

I suspect the content you are watching is upverting SD sourced content and that conversion process may not be so kind to some material.  The SD presentation may look better as it is in it's native format.  I have found some programs that I prefer on the SD channel as the HD channel of the same show is done poorly or just does not take will to a crappy upvert.  This is a source content or post procesing  issue, wlthough the Verizon injected soft SD 1.6.0 issue may not be a factor here.

UGH!  You may be right and I was afeared of that because it implies that I need to id each HD national channel that behaves that way and remove it from my Favorites and  then replace it with the SD channel.  (mumble, mumble)

0 Likes
ksoza1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Only caveat is that since this is not necessarily a channel issue and can also be a source content issue, some content may actually play well on the HD channel if the SD upvert was good or it is actual HD source content.  Maybe have a seperate FAV channel with just the backup SD channels if the content looks bad in HD.  As an example, I have found that MotorWeek on Public TV is widescreen, but not HD and actually can look better on the SD channel for that show. 
0 Likes