Given old DVR during new install
daykin1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a FIOS customer for less than a week and have already been lied to, deceived and given the run around.

FIOS was installed at my residence on 3/16/12.  The installation technician stated he was only in possession of an old DVR with 20 hours of HD recording capability. I have several friends with FIOS who have been customers for several years and all have a somewhat modern black DVR with a 500gb HD, so as you can imagine I was upset about being given ancient refurbished technology during a new installation.

The technician comforted us by saying it was only temporary and that the next week I could go to our local Verizon FIOS store and exchange it for the DVR we expected.

Today I called the local FIOS store and was told that they wouldn’t be able to give me a new DVR, but that I could call customer service and get one shipped.  I called customer service and was told that I would have to pay a $50 "upgrade fee" to receive the DVR I should have been given in the first place. Why should a new customer have to pay an upgrade fee for something that other new customers get as part of their install????

This type of treatment is unacceptable. I canceled Dish Network for FIOS and now think I have made a mistake. The technology in the Dish DVR is many years ahead of this thing left at my house during the FIOS install. The menu isnt HD, I can't save more than a few days worth of recordings and it sometimes takes up to a minute to switch between menus. I really expected more from verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Given old DVR during new install
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello daykin

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Dakin,

Verizon support is in receipt of this issue. We will send you a PM to gather additional information.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
daykin1
Enthusiast - Level 1
So far I've only been told that verizon didn't promise any specific model. This is **bleep**...no other reputable TV provider uses such dated equipment. I would have never ordered FIOS had I known my whole house DVR would be so lousy.
0 Likes
mack64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Dayken,

I was in the same boat as you are up until today.  I'm a current dish subscriber and signed up for fios TV after hearing they improved their dvr and its recording capacity. 

On 2/20, the subcontractor comes out and installs two new wall outlets and begins to connect 3 old refurbished dvrs 6416.  (One of the 3 quit working the next day).  I was about to cancel on the spot, but he said all he had available were the older models.  He said it would be no problem if I called Verizon the next day and they would quickly replace and ship out newer units. 

A long story-short, after enduring numerous phone calls, aggravation, delays, false information, and relative incompetence, I was finally given 3 new set top boxes 7232.  They were delivered today 3/20 which happens to be the last day of my trial period.  I was prepared to drop the service today if I did not get satisfaction to my complaint.  This forum was my last chance to resolve the issue.  Tonya and the moderators on this forum connected me with the right person who was able to authorize and resolve my situation. 

My advice, work with the support team on this board or the person they hand your case to.  You will likely find resolution.  In a world that makes sense, new customers would not have to experience this initial mess to begin with.  If you have the resolve, then hang in there and I believe they will correct your problem. 

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Mack64,

Thanks and we will resolve daykin's issue.

Daykin,

We have sent you a PM so that we can get this resolved for you.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes
daykin1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good to hear that your issue was resolved.  I am starting to think I won't have any such luck. I always heard good things about Verizon...but from the little I have experienced they either don't care about their customers, or really don't have the intelligence to understand that giving old technology (something on par with that Dish Network used in 2005) to a new customer is unacceptable.

This could have all been solved had the install technician informed me that I would be stuck with the DVR he had in hand (or have to battle with customer service). I would have simply turned him away at the door and called Dish or Direct TV.  But he did not. Instead he told me that the 20 hour DVR would only have to hold me over until I was able to drive to the Verizon store and exchange. The customer service response has been " he shouldn't have told you that".  

What he should or should not have said is irrelevant at this point.  All I care about is what I was told, and that I allowed the install to take place based on the assumption his statements were accurate.

0 Likes