Go back to Comcast? At least I knew what the problems were..
frostywmn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a couple of days to make a decision about keeping FIOS, and I've had an extremely frustrating 28 days.  I've had numerous problems over this time.

Do Level 3 techs exist, and would they actually research an issue or just do what everyone has done and tell me they don't know?

I've had FIOS for less than 4 weeks, and it's not enough time for me to decide to stay or go.  Too many problems with no acceptable feedback.  

I'm on my

2nd ONT

4th STB (Cisco 435HDC)

3rd Router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev I)

Between me and my most recent tech, we tested running many different coax configs, including running coax directly from the ONT to a splitter where my TV and router are. 

I think I've had every splitter and coax cable swapped out except for the one in the wall that runs upstairs to the TV and Router, but it doesn't seem that it would be the problem.

The next thing they want to try is giving me an older router...I'd like to skip that step if possible, or I'd like a good reason why they want to do that, instead of just throwing another piece of hardware at the problem because they don't know what else to do.

I'm wondering if some things a dispatched tech and I found could be causing it.  Some of this may be normal, I just need to know that.  

For example, is this normal?

D01 Health Check Summary

1. MoCA often (usually at least a couple times a minute) changes status between Unacceptable and Good?

2. CableCARD changes from Good to Failed?

3. Cable Status changes from Connected to Partial?

4. OOB Turner from Good to Unacceptable?

5. IB Tuner - Good to Fair or Not In Use?

6. More infrequently, but still a few times in the hour I have the diag screen up, I see..

Provisioning Status changes to In Progress  and

Software Download to Unknown

Unfortunately, I can't tell you which MoCA connection is coming up as Unacceptable, it doesn't differentiate (at least not on this screen) between the STB-Router connection and the Router-ONT connection.  

Someone please, please help me.  I really wanted to like FIOS, but dealing with this for almost a month has been very trying.  

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Go back to Comcast? At least I knew what the problems were..
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Are you using the coax line that runs into the wall during all this testing? If so, then that could be your trouble. Everything has been replaced. I would have a single coax line run from the ONT to a good splitter. Last connect your router and STB to the single splitter. If that clears with this very minimumal setup, then your answer is the wall line. If the issue still continues, then it still could be the ONT and/or from the ONT out. Possible fiber cable needs to be cleaned.  hope that helps.

0 Likes
Re: Go back to Comcast? At least I knew what the problems were..
frostywmn
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thanks. The last guy out here actually did that. He ran a cable from the ONT to the splitter upstairs, which connects the DVR and router. Still had problems.. We tried a lot of different configurations, and saw problems with all of them. Actually, none of it makes sense. For a while we thought we had determined it was the internal cabling, but then we were proven wrong. The whole thing is very strange, and has baffled many. The last guy was here for 4 hours his second day trying to give each change in configuration a chance to "settle."

I was hoping someone at Verizon would call Cisco to find out how what is normal for those diags.
0 Likes