Google Home and FIOS set-top boxes
GaryH11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Despite a community manager posting an ad from Verizon offering the Google Home (with a link inside for more information that takes you to the same information on a Verizon web page), I have not been able to get a Google Home to connect to any FIOS set-top box.  Neither have I seen anywhere on the internet anyone reporting that they have accomplished this.  Nor does Verizon appear on a list of manufacturers of devices who are partners of Google in the iOS app that is used to set up a new device.

I spent over two hours last night on a chat with a Level 1 expert trying to get this to work.  He finally gave up and gave me the phone number for what apparently is a Level 2 expert team.  I'll report if that yields any better result, but I am doubtful.  It looks like Verizon has made a serious mistake and is selling Google "accessories" (and recently used them as freebies with new contracts) when the software necessary to make Home work with FIOS boxes has not yet been distributed (assuming it even exists).  Ironically, the Amazon Dot (which sells for 1/4-1/3 as much) works beautifully in letting you use voice to control channel selection, etc. 

If there is a way to make the Google Home work with FIOS, I hope Verizon tech support will post directions here.

Tags (2)
Re: Google Home and FIOS set-top boxes
GaryH11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update- #1:  I chatted with Google's own tech support for the Google Home unit, and they confirmed that they do not support controlling Verizon FIOS set-top boxes.  Someone at Verizon better wake up and straighten this out - at least remove the language "Compatible with FIOS" from the description of the device in the Accessories section of the website!

0 Likes
LaBradford

Anyone have an update?  When will Fios work with Google home?

0 Likes
BF-KID

I bought a harmony universal remote that can be controlled by Google home mini.  The harmony remote controls the tv and STB.  It's not ideal and cost a little more but It's a way around Verizon's lack of compatibility.

0 Likes
Partsman54

Verizon FIOS has been slow in meeting technical changes. I just set up the FIOS voice control STB and mini box. All is working but yes they need to add Google Home to the FIOS network.. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon, like other companies, are market driven.
Do any of the other major cable companies support Google Home directly (without use of an extra device)?

0 Likes
cycy1

Well i know its possible. whenever i use the youtube or netlix app on my phone, all my fios boxes show up as castable, just like my chormecast. its pretty cool, but it only works with youtube & netflix, which are currently the only two widgets fios has intergreated in the boxes already. really wish it could work with my plex app, but i guess its a start. 

I guess what we should be doing is asking verizon to add more widgets cause that seems to make those apps on other devices castable.

So verizon, please add

1. Google home widget

2. amazon widget etc....

0 Likes
gi040bb

any word on google home working with fios boxes going to by my first smart speaker want to go with google but need it to control fios

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes