Google TV (and other HDMI devices)
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Some info just came into my possession that I thought I'd pass along in regards to Google TV and other HDMI devices to be connected to Verizon STB's. I was helping a neighbor hook up his new Google TV and the rest of his entertainment center and ran into a fairly major hiccup in the setup.

Verizon STB's have a limitation of having the ability of having only 2 passthrough devices connected to them. So this means that any HDMI device that you connect to your tv is limited to only itself. You cannot combine devices using any HDMI Switchers.

So for example.

STB--->Google tv--->TV is fine and this will work.

However if you have    STB--->Google tv--->(any device)--->TV  will not work.

This is the same thing we saw earlier in regards to 3D adaptors.

Now the Verizon STB's are limited to only two devices connected via HDMI (in this example Google and the TV).

But the upcoming upgrade to IMG 1.9 is going to increase this number to 8. (Now I understand why 1.9 is supposed to fix so many issues, its going to increase the HDCP connectivity in the STB's)

So if you are trying to connect the new Google TV and you have anything more than just it and the TV like a receiver connected by HDMI, and you have no picture. This is the reason.

0 Likes
Re: Google TV (and other HDMI devices)
Joey301
Enthusiast - Level 3

This happened to me. I got my Logitech Revue and could not get it to work. With the help of Logitech, I was able to get everything to work, but had to use and optical cable to solve the problem you mentioned I had to use two HEMI into the TV in addition to the optical cable. It took almost two hours and made me crazy.

0 Likes
dmking79
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having this same issue too and so far the 'support' folks haven't been very...supportive shall we say.  I understand that Google Tv is a new thing, but Logitech and Google couldn't exactly say it's supported by Fios (and they do) without some kind of contact with Verizon, so it's not like this came out of left field.

This update you speak of, spacedebris, what models will this apply to?  I have the Motorolla QIP6200, will the update apply to this device?  Also...where does one get these updates?  Is it something we have to apply ourselves or does it get pushed out?

I'm loving the google tv, but it stinks not being able to hear everything through my stereo system

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
it's an auto update, and I would expect it early next year. like 1st quarter of next year. so maybe 3-6 months from now
0 Likes
dmking79
Enthusiast - Level 2

😕 yeah, 3-6 months?  That's just not going to work.  That's entirely too long to have my system essentially gimped because Verizon is dragging their feet

It would be really nice if the support folks actually understood the issue, I'm getting tired of repeating myself to them

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I wouldnt bother calling and talking to tech support. There is nothing that they can do about it.

First off, most probably do not even know of the limitation as it is "beyond Verizon support". Verizon only supports connecting their STB to a TV. No other devices. (right or wrong, agree or disagree that is a discussion for another time. This is just Verizon's current policy). And since the problem only occurs when connecting to 3rd party devices beyond the Verizon support boundaries, it is not likely to be anything that the average tech support agent is even aware of.

Second, there is an announced fix.... IMG 1.9.  Now there has been no official announcement as to when 1.9 is going to be released, but we know that  1.9 is needed for the 3D channels that are coming. The 3D channels are supposed to be released in time for the Christmas shopping season (Verizon has already announced that ESPN 3D is coming). So we are assuming that it will be out by the end of the year this year or early next year. But that is just guess work on our end. Verizon never puts out firm dates. But you dont really have a choice. Other than going with another company that is. But if you are staying with Verizon, you just have to wait and there is nothing any of us can do to speed that up.

Besides Verizon really cant be blamed for this. When these STB's were released, no one had any idea that this many HDMI devices would become this involved. For the most part only a few devices even used HDMI at that point. Now there has been an explosion of devices that use HDMI. Necessitating the need to start combining devices. And none of those companies discussed any of that with any other company. Its not like Google (just as an example)  went out and asked Verizon what would be needed to get it to work with their service. They just made a device to connect to your TV. The problem is that this "internet TV" service is new. All these companies are rushing to be the first one out there and to make it work. The problem is that in the rush to get it out, the rest of the devices have not caught up. As with any new technology. The first bunch out of the gate are usually a bit flaky, but in time everything else will catch up and it will become a useable service.

PS..

From what I understand, the 1.9 upgrade will fix the HDCP problem on all HD STB models 

0 Likes
f1501997

Thanks for the good info spacedebris.

Is there anyway to track progress with Verizon on the new STB image? Will opening a support case get me anywhere?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@f1501997 wrote:

Thanks for the good info spacedebris.

Is there anyway to track progress with Verizon on the new STB image? Will opening a support case get me anywhere?

No, a ticket wouldnt help. It will come when it comes. Nothing we do will speed that up. 

Go to menu-->Settings-->System Info.  The top line will tell you the current Version that you have. Your waiting for it to say 1.9. When it does, then that should mean your ready to go.  Plus I'm sure that we will see postings here when people start to see the upgrade. Also remember that Verizon generally rolls these upgrades out very slowly, region by region. So when you start to hear about it, it doesnt mean you'll have it right away. so far 1.8 has taken nearly 8 weeks to fully roll out for everyone. I expect they will handle 1.9 in much the same way.

0 Likes
switch42

I am still on 1.7.1.   How can I get the 1.8 update or are they still rolling it out?

0 Likes
dmking79
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the info folks, good to know others are in the same boat and equally frustrated/inconvenienced

Would be really nice if there was a beta/pilot program customers could sign up for.  Who better to test the functionality of connecting 2, 3, and more  HDMI devices through a set top box than the customers trying to do it?

True, when the original STBs came out, few people if anyone would have assumed that customers would be connecting additional devices, let alone an IPTV device like google tv (ok, I might have suggested they consider stereo surround receivers with multiple hdmi connections, but you get the idea).

But, when you allow customers to test out software updates, you can get a sense of what customers are interested in and perhaps future-proof  a new line of STB

0 Likes