Re: Google TV (and other HDMI devices)
fistofsouth

I'm sorry I just don't see forgiving Verizon for gimping their boxes by allowing only one HDMI device in the chain.  HDMI has been the way the entire industry has been going for the last half-decade and everyone is cool with HDMI handshake issues relating not just to recent innovations like GoogleTV, but also devices that were extant prior to either Fios or HDMI say and AVR or Pre/Pro?

Think of it this way; many people that subscribe to FIos do so because they want the BEST picture quality and it stands to reason that most of them want the BEST audio quality as well.  The only way you get the best audio quality (in fact the only way you get the 5.1 surround Verizon sells people on) is by the use of an integrated Audio Video Receiver or by unsung an Audio/Video re-Processor.  Ten years ago that chain put the AVR between the TV and the STB and today that is still the case.  The prime difference is the use of HDMI as opposed to a combination of component or DVI connections and Optical or Coax digital audio. 

For some reason Verizon's competition has figured out that video fanatics are often audio fanatics, that's why companies like Dish and Direct TV don't have HDMI handshake issues like Verizon boxes have.  Plus we have seen new Firmware updates from Verizon THIS YEAR so why not just open up the HDMI when those updates were pushed out.  Why do we need to wait for Verizon to buy onto a Fad like 3-D in order to get  established standards (AVRs and HDMI) to function properly?  Why should I spend thousands to get the finest AV components only to have to go with the same multiple cable solution that was used 10 years ago?  The answer is I won't; either Verizon will address this issue by spring or I'll find a new provider when my current Fios deal runs out.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

EVERYONE has hdmi handshake issues.

Take your pic with a google search

put in sony hdmi handshake issue

time warner hdmi handshake issue

cox hdmi handshake issue

you'll get a ton of hits no matter what company name you put in there.

0 Likes
lilobodo

Just for info: I connected my Logitech Revue to my STB, Motorola QIP 7232/2 last week without any problems except a defective HDMI cable that was shipped with Revue. Didn't need to call Verizon for tech support, but Logitech t5ech support was excellent.

0 Likes
Graphixx1

I have this same STB (Motorola QIP7232) with the 1.9 IMG firmware and I have no video at all coming out of the Revue. I've tried connecting it with and without my AVR and I still get no video. Sound works great in both connections. 

I'm beginning to think there is an issue with the actual Revue unit I received. The unit itself works to the extent of me being able to surf the web and use all the apps, but I can't watch live TV. 

I've tried connecting it:

STB --> Revue --> Sony AVR --> TV

and 

STB --> Revue --> TV

Either way results in the same thing ... no video. 

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
GoogleTVuser

I also use the QIP7232-2 with a Dell HD monitor for my display and Logitech Revue/Google TV.  I have no problems with display, but can't search the channels or use the "What's On" feature anymore like I could with Comcast or before I changed my TV Source to reflect the new Motorola device.

Can anyone help me figure out how to rescan the channels so I can search the channels with the Revue and use "What's On" feature?

0 Likes