Green screen issues
CamilleIS

We've had Fios for about three years now but a few weeks ago we started having problems. Whenever we're watching either live TV or DVR, the screen goes green. Sometimes it comes back quickly, sometimes it takes a while and sometimes it happens several times in a row. It's really frustrating because we've called numerous times but no one at Verizon has a clue what to do. We got a new STB and that didn't help. A tech came out and did a lot of stuff and that helped for a week and now it's back again. I have no idea what's going on but I'm considering switching from Fios to another provider because it's really annoying. Our Fios bundle isn't cheap yet we aren't getting what we're paying for.

0 Likes
Re: Green screen issues
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that sometimes is caused as you are switching between channels or switching back and forth dvr to live or dvr to menu etc....if that sounds like your case, then try to click menu, settings, video settings, go to SD override and turn it off.

see if that helps. 

if not go to www.verizon.com/repair and do the quick fix for set top boxes.

FYI this is known as a HDMI handshake issue, and you can google it, it's a reasonably popular problem when using HDMI.  It's a problem that exists between your set top box, the hdmi cable and the television set.  No other place in the house would affect that problem.  Your ultimate fix if nothing else works is to get Component Cables.

very cheap at www.monoprice.com

0 Likes
dajohnso4374
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Verizon online support folks gave me the following steps to check to resolve this issue:

Please do disconnecting and reconnecting the COAX cable between the STB and the Coax Outlet:
1. Unscrew the COAX cable between the STB and coax outlet on both ends.
2. Check the copper needle that runs through the middle of the cable for any bending or damage.
3. If the cable looks ok, screw the coaxial cables back onto the STB and coax outlet securely.
4. Power cycle the STB. Verify it is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not power strip or surge protector.
5. Ensure the STB is in a well ventilated area and that none of the exhaust vents are covered.

Item 4 and 5 were changed in my case.

4. I moved the plug from a power strip and plugged it directly into the wall.

5. I added a few more inches of clearance from the top of the STB to allow for better air flow.

At this point a few hours after making the changes no more green screens have occurred.

Will update if any more green screens happen.

0 Likes
dajohnso4374
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE:  After following tech support's directions, green screen is perhaps even worse than it was before.  I had 4 green screens throughout 1 half hour show.  So very frustrating, as I was highly anticipating the switch to Fios.  After reading all the forums and blogs about this issue, it appears that in the 4 years that people have had problems, Verizon has made no attempt to correct this issue.  I switched to SD override as Hubrisnsx suggested, and was really hopeful, but experienced the green screen after about 45 minutes. 

I will now attempt to address the HDMI handshake issue, but it would be helpful if Verizon had a cut and dry solution for this problem that has apparently been in existence for many people since 2008.

0 Likes
coteblanc

The fix for the Verizon green screen problem is to disable HDR on the video settings in the Fios menu.
It works

0 Likes
Kh-Phil1

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue, we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes