Switch Account

Guide Feedback

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Guide Feedback

Message 1 of 62
(14,161 Views)
Anybody else notice that the FIOS TV Guide sucks?  While they seem to have launched numerous websites to show how slick their guide is, the guide itself is sorely lacking in content.  For example, many shows just have generic "info," like VH1C classic in concert info states that "Classic live concerts from artists are presented from start to finish including Pink Floyd, Rush..."  First of all the concerts are in no way presented from "start to finish," they are in fact a few songs from recently released concert DVDs.  But more importantly, why doesn't it say, like the DirectTV guide does, who is featured in this particular hour?  Same with shows like Rick Steeve's Europe, which just says something like, "Rick Steeve's visits countries in Europe."  The DirecTV guide tells you which countries for which episodes.  For Masterpiece Theater it says "A collection of unsurpassed dramatic presentations...Episode 3822." {please keep your posts courteous}  does that mean?    
Message Edited by CharlotteS on 08-11-2008 08:34 PM
Message Edited by KaLin on 12-09-2008 09:48 PM
61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Guide Sucks.

Message 2 of 62
(14,035 Views)

I'm with you. I expect to have at least the following information for say for instance a movie:

The year it was made

The major actors

The director

The running time

I also expect program information for series. 

This is basic on any Satellite or cable system. 

The whole user interface is horrible to say the least.

They have only my contract length to make their service worthy of the 21st century.

Being able to get somebody on the phone would be a plus as well.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 62
(14,006 Views)
Agreed!!  DirectTv guide and Tivo system head and toes above Verizon.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 62
(13,939 Views)

I agree.  I had comcast which is also much better.  I can not stand how the chosen station is magnified.  I would rather see the entire grid. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 62
(13,921 Views)

Holy ship of fools, it doesn't even tell you who is on 60 minutes!  And when there is a program about to record and it needs to change channels it doesn't even tell what the program is.  Wow!  How crappy is that? 

I have an ancient Tivo box that I had used with DirecTV.  Can I use that?  Would it be different? 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 6 of 62
(13,901 Views)
it's just plain wrong a lare portion of the time too.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 7 of 62
(13,803 Views)

We expect to have at least the following information for say for a movie:

The year it was made

The major actors

The director

The running time 

Type of movie eg: Comedy, Horror, etc

The plot of the movie  

All of this information should be on the same initial info screen.

Also, on regular programming it should include:

Date first aired

If new or rerun

Description of the program with Hosts, Guests, and Actors

Accurate programming information - We found that the wrong programs were listed in the guide for the times indicated

A full description of the program with actors, hosts and guests.

Description of the program.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 8 of 62
(13,674 Views)

Is the guide ever correct when it comes to local programming.  I am in the Philly area and the eagles were playing on ABC tonight but the guide shows "Collateral" as being on ABC.  This thing is terrible -- I cant believe I want Comcast back,,, thats saying something....  

Highlighted
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 9 of 62
(13,642 Views)

@OspreysBP wrote:

We expect to have at least the following information for say for a movie:

The year it was made  The guide shows this

The major actors  The guide shows this

The director  This is not included

The running time  This is not included

Type of movie eg: Comedy, Horror, etc  The guide shows this

The plot of the movie  The guide shows this

All of this information should be on the same initial info screen.  There really is not room to show it all.  Hit the Infor button twice and you get hit all.

Also, on regular programming it should include:

Date first aired  Not sure about why this matters, but okay...

If new or rerun  I agree

Description of the program with Hosts, Guests, and Actors  The guide shows this

Accurate programming information - We found that the wrong programs were listed in the guide for the times indicated  No guide is fully accurate and yes, Verizon seems more inaccurate than most. 

Our guide in Southern California has improved lately.  See comments above.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 10 of 62
(13,589 Views)

I'm also finding the Guide service to be the weakest part of my FIOS package.  Here's a sampling of the problems we've seen so far.

1) My wife set up a season pass to record the upcoming season premier of Jon & Kate Plus 8.  When she went to watch the program, she found our DVR filled with reruns of the previous season, but no season premier.  She was furious.  I finally found what had happened.  Every upcoming repeat episode was listed in the guide as New.  The season premier was NOT listed as new.  When she set our DVR to grab only new programs, it did exactly as ordered.  Our only solution was tell the box to record everything, then stay on top of deleting extra stuff to keep the DVR from filling up.

2) I searched for "Olive, the Other Reindeer" around Christmas time to record for my daughter.  The search showed it was playing three times within a 2-3 week period.  On EACH of these times I set the box up to record the program it recorded something else which was playing on the same channel/time slot.  I realized the search feature was worthless at that point.

3) My wife set a season pass for some kids programs like "Little Einsteins" or "Wonder Pets" based on information shown in the guide.  When she went to play these recordings, it was "Spongebob Squarepants".  Every time.  My kids were disappointed and my wife was once again furious at the service.

4) I've learned long ago that the program descriptions for Family Guy playing in our DC/Balt area at 630pm and 730pm are switched.  The description of the 730 show is actually what airs at 630.  I forget what the 630 description is of, but it isn't what airs at 630  This isn't an isolated every so often occurance.  It's every day for months now.

5) Lack of programming information.  You hit info on some programs and you get the generic description.  For example, the Simpons descriptions: "An oaf named Homer raises his dysfunctional family in the small town of Spingfield while interacting with eccentric..."  That's it.  Even the "..." is in the description.  Hitting the info button reviews nothing extra. This happens for every Simpsons rerun, and for quite a few of the other programs our family watches.

6) Skimpy program information on some programs.  For example; Deep Impact was on TNT today.  FIOS Guide lists as "Humanity struggles to prevent its extinction as a comet heads towards Earth.".  TVGuide.com lists as "Scientists scramble to stop a giant comet that is threatening to destroy Earth in this drama with good special effects and a script full of plot holes.  Robert Duvall, tea Leoni, Morgan Freeman, Vanessa Redgrave, Directed by Mimi Leder.  Steven Spielberg is one of the executive producers."  Wow.  Are they just trying to trim bandwidth by cutting info down to the bare minimum?

I had complained about some of the guide problems shortly after we switched to FIOS from Comcast.  I was told that Verizon purchases their guide content, and really isn't responsible.  That's a pretty weak excuse, if indeed its correct.  To me that says "Hey, we know its bad but it isn't us so what can we do?"  The logo that appears at the bottom of the FIOS guide is TV Guide.  If they're truely leasing this service from TV Guide, then why is the FIOS guide so widely inaccurate while TVGuide.com is dead on?  Aren't both derived from the same data source?

As I mentioned before, we had Comcast as a provider before FIOS.  With the many problems we had with Comcast which caused us to switch their guide service was at least accurate and informative.  We also had TiVO, and their guide was AWESOME.  We also know folks who use DirectTV, and have seen their guide is on par with TiVO.

Seriously Verizon, what are you doing to fix these problems?  Your guide is an anchor keeping your service from taking off.  The DVR season pass and search features are handicapped by false information.  Your phone service reps have no answers, only poor excuses to wave off responsiblity.

Message Edited by sbrague on 08-24-2008 05:54 AM
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.