Re: Guide consistently WRONG!!!
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

Got an update for you guys.  At this time there is no plan to change our guide data provider.  There are only three major ones in the US(FYI, Gemstar, Tribune).  With Tribunes' parent company up in the air financially at this time it leaves only one other option.  Doesn't look like anything is going to get done on this one.  Sorry folks. 

TS

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Well, clearly FYI is lousy, so looks like if Verizon wants to improve the guide they need to look to Gemstar.  Comcast uses Gemstar and the Comcast guide data (not their iGuide) is Comcast's only bright spot.  IMHO.

Please Verizon, make the change!

@TheSanchez wrote:

Got an update for you guys.  At this time there is no plan to change our guide data provider.  There are only three major ones in the US(FYI, Gemstar, Tribune).  With Tribunes' parent company up in the air financially at this time it leaves only one other option.  Doesn't look like anything is going to get done on this one.  Sorry folks. 

TS

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@TheSanchez wrote:

TS

TS,

That is really, really bad news!!! Do you have any idea whether it is due to a longer contractual commitment that we are all unaware of, or just lack of will to change? Don't the Verizon powers-that-be understand the major dissatisfaction in the FiOS community with the Guide data?

Do you have any suggestion on who we should direct our complaints to? I am not going to use the "Contact Us" links here, they are pretty much useless, but I really would like to make sure that Verizon's executives are aware of how bad the guide service is.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

I know how upsetting this is because I am a consumer too and i cant tell you how many episodes(ill be it repeats) ive recorded and it not be what i thought it was.  They did inform me they work with FYI every day to try to keep all info current.  As for who to contact for this one the best place would be the FSC actually.  When you call in to the FSC for a video problem and we are unable to resolve or you make any type of adverse comment about the service there is a special flag that we put on the ticket(were supposed to do this every time) before we close it out. All flagged tickets are reported to the proper people.  Other than that I really dont know of anywhere else to register an actual complaint.  Make sure you tell rep to mark the adverse comment field of your troubleticket to yes if you call in about this and you will be ok. 

TS

Message Edited by TheSanchez on 12-20-2008 03:02 PM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

TS,

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I will try the FSC, although calling every time there is an error in the guide data is going to get old very quickly. Maybe that is what the powers-that-be are counting on???? I hope not....

Someone here posted about contacting FYI directly, and actually received a response. So when I saw a guide data error I put together a note and sent to the same address (cjackson@fyitelevision.com), no response at all, really disappointing.

And thanks for following up on this....and keep it up, maybe sometime in the future "they" will realize how important this issue is.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
I feel your pain as much as the next person....I am an AVID Kansas Jayhawk Fan and the game today against the Temple Owls I almost missed because ESPN2 kept showing college football. I kept double checking and sure enough the game was on ESPN2.  Thankfully I didn't miss the opening tipoff. Had I wanted to record this I would have been unable to and I'm not a happy camper.  I also had to endure ESPN's fouled up feed they had going for the first 5 min of the game.
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

So, when will FYI provide data for MLB Network.  It started today 1/1/09 at 6 pm but the guide still says coming soon.

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

@TheSanchez wrote:

TS

That really is bad news.  I had been hoping since not long after I signed on to FIOS that it would improve the Guide and stopped complaining about it when I'd heard in other threads that Verizon was going to do something about this when its current contract ran out with FYI at the end of 2008 (Well it's 2009 and no change?  Was this rumor just a ploy to get some of us customers to stop complaining?).  However, as I remember, initially the Guide wasn't all that bad and then we got a program update and the Guide went to hell.  It's not just the incorrect listings, it's also lack of info.  Most listings do not show the actor's names for movies or series, original air dates for series, release dates for movies, accurate program description (and many times just says No Program Information Available when other Guides do give an accurate and informative listings), etc.  Do I remember correctly that there WAS a more accurate and informative guide provided by FIOS, and if so couldn't it go back to offering it?

It's just very hard to believe that Verizon is not addressing a problem as prevalent as this.  But, if it took my suggestion from another thread to work out a deal with TiVo, it could resolve the equipment problems (lack of hard disk space), the Guide problems (lack of accurate and informative info) and the operating system problems (lack of or poor DVR features).  It's an assumption on my part, but I would think that Verizon couldn't discuss such an arrangement with TiVo when it first came out because TiVo had an agreement with DirecTV.  Now that it doesn't, and considering the present state of our economy, it might be an ideal time to negotiate a deal with them.

Verizon could then be able to offer expandable equipment, an effective operating system and an accurate and informative Guide.  Put those together with the best picture quality available and Verizon would lock up the Number One slot as the company to be with!

Message Edited by speedo123 on 01-02-2009 09:12 AM
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

If you use a TiVo then you are using Tribune's guide data (Very accurate and full of useful information).  Comcast uses Gemstar and they too are much improved and better than FYI (Verizon's provider).

Directv has a new deal with TiVo, so not sure whether Verizon even wants a deal with TiVo.   The Comcast deal with trying to put TiVo software on the Motto DVR has been nothing short a disaster.

I have used guides from Comcast, Directv, Cablevision, and now Verizon.  Hands down the best guide for speed and visual appeal is Verizon's IMHO. 

But Directv and Comcast have the best guide DATA, period.  If Verizon switches providers then I feel they would have the best overall guide out there.

I am so very hopeful that Verizon will make the change.  I have my doubts they will for whatever political reasons involved.  If it is purely financial then Verizon is certainly getting what they are paying less for.  Less.

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

nascar wrote:

Directv has a new deal with TiVo, so not sure whether Verizon even wants a deal with TiVo.   The Comcast deal with trying to put TiVo software on the Motto DVR has been nothing short a disaster.

Hadn't heard about TiVo and DirecTV getting back together or any new deal.  Might convince me to go back!  Any idea where to look for more info on this?

0 Likes