Guide wrong and what isn't wrong is incomplete
Ampmanj

Has anybody else noticed this.  The guide seems to be wrong quite frequently, and even when it's not, the program description is so incomplete or not even worth reading it's so full of nonsense.

for instance.  I was channel surfing last night and ran across a show on Turner Classic Movies called "Dangerous Lady".............gee guess what, it was actually "The Maltese Falcon"

Looking around tonight.  E! Channel Fios guide says Showgirls, what's actually showing is "30 Best and worst Beachbodies"  Which actually matches what tvguide.com, and all the other internet sites I can view that show what's actually showing.  Half the time when I tell my DVR to record something like 'The Shield"  what I actually get is either an infomercial or Law and Order SVU.  The listing of shows that I see on my guide that don't match whats actually on the TV is HUGE.

The few techs that I've been able to talk to who don't refuse to admit that this is even happening all seem to try to tell me that my internet connection has something to do with the fact that my guide is wrong and that we need to reset my DVR.  Well, we've reset my DVR 4 times and it's still happening.

And lest we forget:  The number of shows that just simply don't give any information about what's actually showing, or say "The Toxic Avenger - No Program Description", I'd guesstimate that at least 50% of the shows listed on my DVR guide right now, all have "no program description" appended to the name.  

And, the number of "New" shows...............I've watched 'new' episodes of Happy Days, Bonanza,  Lost in Space, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.  This really confuses my DVR, when I've told it to record new episodes of Battlestar Galactica, etc.  I get anywhere from 3 to 7 shows recorded a week that haven't been 'new' in years.  That's if the description, if there even is one, is correct, which is usually isn't.  I've noticed that Primetime for the Networks, ABC/NBC etc appear to be correct more often than not.  But every other channel, it's a freeforall.  

Whoever Verizon is paying to program their guide is RIPPING them and us (the customers) off.   Once again, I look atTVGuide.com, my local cable companies, directtv.com, and they're all correct for what is actually being shown,  but not the Fios Guide.  There must be some way to get the same information that TVGuide, DirectTV, Comcast, Cox, TimeWarner and all the other companies seem to get no problem out to their customers.  I really love the quality of the picture on my HDTV, but the guide/DVR issue really bothers me

0 Likes
Re: Guide wrong and what isn't wrong is incomplete
Beau1k

Ya....and it's fricken' annoying because the clock doesn't update properly...can't tell what time it really is by the box...doesn't record properly etc.

The info in the description is a joke...they don't even tell you who the stars of the show are...{please post courteously}??? 

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 08-14-2008 11:46 PM
0 Likes
malrubius
Hey Charlotte S, does anybody from Verizon, other than the potty-mouth censors, ever read our complaints with this crappy system.
0 Likes
CharlotteS
Moderator Emeritus

malrubius wrote:
Hey Charlotte S, does anybody from Verizon, other than the potty-mouth censors, ever read our complaints with this crappy system.

Hi malrubius,

This is a peer-to-peer forum, so it's meant mostly for members to interact with other members. While I'm sure that some of the staff does see posts on the forum, your most reliable way of making sure that your complaints are heard is going to be contacting Verizon customer service directly.

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

@CharlotteS wrote:

@malrubius wrote:

Hi malrubius,

This is a peer-to-peer forum, so it's meant mostly for members to interact with other members. While I'm sure that some of the staff does see posts on the forum, your most reliable way of making sure that your complaints are heard is going to be contacting Verizon customer service directly.

Gee CharlotteS:

Can you suggest a way of contacting Verizon where one doesn't have to be on hold for 45 minutes to an hour and a half just to get to speak with someone who's then going to give us answers like "it's your internet connection" or some such other equally ridiculous answer?  And what good do you think it will it really do after that wait for another person to tell Verizon that its guide is terrible.  Does anyone believe they don't already know this.  What we Verizon CUSTOMERS would like is a resolution to this issue, not suggestions about how to complain about something that's already a well-known deficiency.

0 Likes
Ampmanj

A Technician came out, expressed amazement that he was sent for the guide being incorrect, wrong, and otherwise basically useless...............He did find a signal attenuator in my path, which MAY, just may explain my random reboots.  If the DVR doesn't receive adequate signal, the tech indicated that the unit may reboot itself searching for more of a signal.  First I'd heard of that.  We'll see.

However, the tech had just received his Fios and he'd noticed that same items I was complaining about..........So I showed him the Verizon Message Board, along with about 400 other websites, blogs, and reviews from places like dslreports.com, CNET.com, etcetera...................He wrote a few down and said he'd pass them along to his supervisor.  

I'm almost sure that somewhere in some Verizon building somewhere, some corporate {please post courteously} in charge of this sort of thing, already knows about it, but isn't doing anything about it cause it's not 'critical' to the quest that Verizon has to be 'the' provider of everything.  First they get the market share, then they fix the substandard products, the price hikes are a given. 

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 08-18-2008 07:31 PM
0 Likes
WithAK
Yes, the guide on my FIOS is very often wrong. (I don't care where it comes from. I pay for FIOS and the FIOS guide is frequently wrong.)
0 Likes
Chris

My biggest complaint with this issue is that the "New Episode" flag is often wrong, making the Series Manager function practically useless.

I think you would be wasting your time contacting Customer Service/Tech Support.

The guide data is supplied by a company called FYI. We can only hope that Verizon find a new source at some point.

Chris

Message Edited by Chris on 08-31-2008 06:42 AM
0 Likes