HD DVR channel switching 4 second delay but regular STB in other room is instant
MondaFL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a HD DVR multi-room STB (QIP6416-2) hat seems to take 3 to 4 seconds to change channels.  But the regular STB in another room (QIP2500-3) changes channels virtually instantly.  This delay with the HD DVR seems to be a recent issue.  I even tried entering 3 or 4 digits, even for 1 or 2 digit channel numbers, but that didn't have any impact speeding up channel switching.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HD DVR channel switching 4 second delay but regular STB in other room is instant
Justin46
Legend

Tha is usually the symptom of having an HDMI connection between the DVR and the TV and having the SD Override setting at 480i, 480p, or stretch. The symptom shows up when switching between HD and SD channels, in either direction. If this is your problem you can eliminate it by doing the following on the DVR:

Menu ==> Settings ==> Video Settings ==> SD Override ==> Off

This setting may degrade the SD picture slightly but it will eliminate the delay when changing channels.

What is happening is that the TV and DVR must renegotiate the HDMI settings each time when you change to an HD or SD channel from the other when Off is not used.

If the delay is between HD channels I have no idea, I have never experienced that.

The QIP2500 is an SD-only box and does not support an HDMI connection, so that is why you never see this issue there.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Re: HD DVR channel switching 4 second delay but regular STB in other room is instant
Justin46
Legend

Tha is usually the symptom of having an HDMI connection between the DVR and the TV and having the SD Override setting at 480i, 480p, or stretch. The symptom shows up when switching between HD and SD channels, in either direction. If this is your problem you can eliminate it by doing the following on the DVR:

Menu ==> Settings ==> Video Settings ==> SD Override ==> Off

This setting may degrade the SD picture slightly but it will eliminate the delay when changing channels.

What is happening is that the TV and DVR must renegotiate the HDMI settings each time when you change to an HD or SD channel from the other when Off is not used.

If the delay is between HD channels I have no idea, I have never experienced that.

The QIP2500 is an SD-only box and does not support an HDMI connection, so that is why you never see this issue there.

Keller, TX 76248

matcarl
Master - Level 1

@Justin wrote:

The delay is there on component too if you are switching between HD & SD channels, it's not just an HDMI issue, it's an HD to SD issue fixable by the way Justin described in SD override