HD Problem
nickyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey all:

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. I recently started noticing poor picture quality on my HDTV on the SD channels so I went and traded in my HD STB for another new one. I did the self install and was unable to get the box to work on HDMI connection so the Tech recommended that i take back the cord and get a new one. I did get a new cord and was still unable to get the box to work with HDMI connection.

I called the store before i went back for a third time and they told me "we never have any problems with a new box" so i was directed to call tech support which i did this time. The person on the phone with tech support reset my box several times, reset my plan and directed me to connect to a different Tv to see if it was a Tv problem still though had the same problem. I was then directed to use component cables including the audio for a total of 6 cables to my Tv. I was able to use the TV in component but not HDMI.

The Tech support told me that component was "just as good as HDMI if not better" and also stated that "sometimes when you switch out a box this happens and we can't figure it out"

Can anyone first of all tell me if component is just as good as HDMI or not? And can anyone tell me if i should accept this reasoning as "it just happens"? Or should i assume somthing is wrong with the box and demand a new one?

0 Likes
Re: HD Problem
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@nickyb wrote:

Hey all:

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. I recently started noticing poor picture quality on my HDTV on the SD channels so I went and traded in my HD STB for another new one. I did the self install and was unable to get the box to work on HDMI connection so the Tech recommended that i take back the cord and get a new one. I did get a new cord and was still unable to get the box to work with HDMI connection.

I called the store before i went back for a third time and they told me "we never have any problems with a new box" so i was directed to call tech support which i did this time. The person on the phone with tech support reset my box several times, reset my plan and directed me to connect to a different Tv to see if it was a Tv problem still though had the same problem. I was then directed to use component cables including the audio for a total of 6 cables to my Tv. I was able to use the TV in component but not HDMI.

The Tech support told me that component was "just as good as HDMI if not better" and also stated that "sometimes when you switch out a box this happens and we can't figure it out"

Can anyone first of all tell me if component is just as good as HDMI or not? And can anyone tell me if i should accept this reasoning as "it just happens"? Or should i assume somthing is wrong with the box and demand a new one?

component as good as HDMI....thats a tough one. Problem is that, it depends on your eyesight, your preferences, and your TV. I used to work at a TV store and on some tv's the component cables were actually far superior to the HDMI. On other TV's you couldnt tell the difference, and still others the HDMI was superior. The only real way to answer that one is "Try it, you tell us" lol.

Now Component cables and HDMI cables can both handle resolutions up to 1080i. Only the HDMI cable can handle the 1080p. Now to be honest most HD programing is in 720p to begin with so both cables work fine. The few programs that do make it up to the 1080 level are almost all 1080i. There are very few that make it all the way up to 1080p (at least right now) so "technically" it is just as good up to a point.

Now, If component look as good to you, I'd probably stay with component considering all the problems with HDMI now-a-days. With all the Verizon problems, the Samsung problems, and the Motorola problems with HDMI, it seems to be less of a headache to just use component and as long as your picture quality is just as good (you are the only judge of this). That is the way I would go. But if the picture quality is not as good, then I'd call tech support back and insist that they change the box again.

0 Likes
Re: HD Problem
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

one other thing to consider is the SD override in the settings (but I assume that this was taken care of by resetting the box and getting a new one).  this should be set to "OFF" 

HDMI should be better than component as it can transmit audio as well (no need for additional audio cables to the tv from the box).  also, i think that HDMI delivers a better picture quality due to the way it is able to interlace the image on your screen.

however, I've read that many people have experienced problems when using HDMI cables with FIOS to their Samsung TVs.  What kind of TV do you have?  If it is a Samsung, then that is your problem.  Not sure if Verizon needs to update their box or if Samsung needs to update their tv, but do some searching here and you'll read other similar stories.

in any event, spacedebris is correct about the resolutions.

that being said, what are you doing watching SD channels with an HD Box, watching CSPAN?

0 Likes