Switch Account

HD QIP7100 STB making sound? Is this normal?

HD QIP7100 STB making sound? Is this normal?

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(4,320 Views)

I just received my replacement HD STB because my previous box is broken (it won't power on, the red light behind the optical s/pdif port keeps blinking).

My old box was an HD QIP6xxx series, the replacement is a QIP7100. When I power on the device, the area where the figure 8 power cord is connected to in the back is making a strange somewhat loud high pitch noise, maybe a coil whining sound. I'm assuming the noise is coming from the internal power supply/transformer.

Anyone else have this?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 4
(4,303 Views)

More likely a fan.

I seem to remember people complaining about noisy stbs.

Only thing to do is contact support for a new one.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(4,289 Views)

When I looked through the holes with a flashlight, I did not see any fan nor could I feel any fan. My previous STB also had no fan. I did contact support for a new one, I just wanted to know if it was just me or it's normal.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 4 of 4
(4,280 Views)

When I had QIP BOXES the non-DVR boxes were virtually silent.  The Dvr were a bit louder because of Disc drive and occassional Fan sounds.

I expect a bad box.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.