HD STB turns on and off every 30 seconds or so automatically......
Arnie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

once TV has been turned off.  When TV is on the service (picture, guide, time on the clock etc etc) works fine, but once the tv is turned off, the box automatically starts turning on then off every 30 seconds or so.  Just received a second HD STB last week and ran in to the same issue again once it was installed and booted.  This was never an issue until approx 2 weeks ago when VZ ran an automatic update in the middle of the night - we have another HD box and two standard boxes and none of them seem to be having any issues. 

We even went as far as hooking up a standard (non-HD) box to this same tv and it worked fine.  Very frustrating as the power has to be turned off by unplugging the unit each night.  I've been on the phone with VZ twice for a total of about 1 1/2 hours trying to rectify this problem and unfortunately nothing has succeeded so far.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and I will be eternally grateful.

I was starting to think that maybe the HDMI cable is bad but that wouldn't seem to make any sense since it works fine when the tv is turned on.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HD STB turns on and off every 30 seconds or so automatically......
Arnie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lori - situation solved. I spoke to customer Service again a few days ago and the rep I spoke to suggested VZ send me new cables to see if that would correct the issue. I rec'd the cables yesterday, connected everything, and it still didn't appear to correct the issue UNTIL I spoke with customer service again last evening and he said to disconnect my HDMI cable (which I left connected after hooking up the new cables), and that then seemed to resolve the issue.  No idea why the HDMI cable would cause the HD STB to have issues but apparently it did? 

philhu - you may want to try this with yours and see if that takes care of the problem.  Fortunately the picture quality seems to be the same without the HDMI cable connected.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Lori
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Arnie1,  That is crazy about your HD box. You mentioned that you received another HD box and it is happening to that one as well but not to the SD box you tried.  Hmmm have you tried your other HD box that is working fine where this is happening?  Also what is the make of your TV.  There have been some issues in the past with Samsung and the HD box with HDMI.  If anything I can get a Tech out there and work on getting the issue resolved. But I would really like to see if the HD box you have in one of your other rooms acts the same way where this is happening.  If you can try that and let me know then we can proceed from there. 

Lori

Verizon Telecom

Fiber Solutions Center

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Lori, Verizon people....

You act like you have never heard of this!

It has been reported since IMG 1.7 came down.

I reported it a few times, others too.  Just search the threads.

I have it happen on a QIP 7100 unit.  I fixed it by buying a TIVO and RETURNING the cable box, since nobody seemed even willing to help me except keep asking me more and more info, when they finally asked me when I watch TV, I was done with the box.

This is a KNOWN problem. I guess know to all by Verizon FiOS personnel.  And noboydy wants to fix it or, it looks like, even acknowledge it, based upon everyone reporting the SAME thing, gets responses such as the one by Verizon's Lori

I know they are trying to help, but look at others reports before posting the SAME SCRIPT answer.

0 Likes
kkspencer4

I have the same problem and have had that problem for the past two years your TV is not compatable with the box top from FIOS, they know all about it and always pretend that they don"t.  You can use the composite cables to watch tv it is not High Def and you should ask for a credit from Verizon until they fix it I have been getting a $30.00 a month credit until they fix the problem.  I have a sony Hd TV, they say motorola is working on fixing it  but it has been two years so it may never be fixed!!!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am on dsl reports pretty frequently and post here too and I haven't heard of an hd box turning on and off every 30 seconds, or seen a thread about it,  let me take a look at the link for that.

I'd like to see what the different ideas being bounced around are.  

Also what type of tv do you have, I have that new img release, gorgeous LCD tv with HDMI and don't have that exact issue, or anything near it.   maybe it's a combo deal.  HDMI is kinda a rushed and quirky technology, they really should have finalized the standard and enforced it, but they didn't so what are ya gonna do right?

we have another HD box and two standard boxes and none of them seem to be having any issues. 

Have you hooked up that HD box to the TV, and it doesn't have the issue just the original box and the replacement box?

0 Likes
Arnie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lori - thanks for the response.  Let me switch the current box with the other HD DVR box that we have to see if there is still an issue.  The TV is a Vizio, and I wouldn't think that would be the problem since there haven't been any issues until approx 2 weeks ago - up until that point it worked fine.  I will be back in touch tomorrow - is posting in this thread the best way to get in touch with you or is there a more direct way?

0 Likes
VZ_Lori
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Arnie1,  You can post in on here or if you prefer send me a private message. Please let me know if switching your HD boxes worked. If not then I will send you a private link to get me your account info and then I will get a tech out there to get this issue fixed. Talk to you soon.

Lori

Verizon Telecom

Fiber Solutions Center

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Ok

Lori's response to this thread EXACTLY explains the whole Verizon CSR problem.  *3* people reported the problem and gave stories of it.  Lori, decided to IGNORE all the others that reported the SAME problem, even though it is costing Verizon the income from *2* Cable boxes from me, and a $30 credit to the other guy.

She continues as if our posts weren't there.

That is exactly how they silo or cubbyhole customer complaints.  They probably DON'T EVEN SEE alot of people reporting this, they take each as a single problem from a single person.

I love their service, but I do not like their CSRs

0 Likes
Arnie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lori - situation solved. I spoke to customer Service again a few days ago and the rep I spoke to suggested VZ send me new cables to see if that would correct the issue. I rec'd the cables yesterday, connected everything, and it still didn't appear to correct the issue UNTIL I spoke with customer service again last evening and he said to disconnect my HDMI cable (which I left connected after hooking up the new cables), and that then seemed to resolve the issue.  No idea why the HDMI cable would cause the HD STB to have issues but apparently it did? 

philhu - you may want to try this with yours and see if that takes care of the problem.  Fortunately the picture quality seems to be the same without the HDMI cable connected.  Good luck.

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Arnie,

OF COURSE component works.  The problem is HDMI handshake, and Verizon is STILL IGNORING MOST OF US.

I have no COMPONENT inputs in my AV RECeiver, so I must use HDMI.  THAT is the problem.

Giving a customer a 'workaround' is not a solution.

IMG 1.7 has a bug, that they are ignoring.

Period

0 Likes