HD TV picture flickers / skips
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

I notice that my HD channels will flicker or skip while watching TV.  Programs will become unbearable to watch and eventually I have to watch on regular TV if I don't want to watch an image that's comprimised. 

This usually only happens during prime-time programming during the week and when watching major sporting events on the weekends; baseball, basketball, NASCAR, hockey, etc.  Seems to only happen when good programming is on.

Is there any way I can fix this myself without trying to contact Verizon for a service call?  I cannot continue to watch TV the way it is now and would appreciate any advice or information on how to resolve myself.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions / advice.

Jeff

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HD TV picture flickers / skips
Hubrisnxs
Legend

select 720p in the set top menu?

menu>settings>video settings>video format?

also turn off "CineMotion" and "Motion Flow" in your bravia

Also another forum user noticed sony has a firmware update on the Sony site for the Bravia 40V5100. In the description it states that it fixes various HDMI issues. Maybe try the update?    

see if it's for your tv too 

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Does the picture actually stop and then resume? or  "missing" moments?  Or is it like watching an old projector type movie?

If it is like watching an old reel to reel projector movie, it may be a refresh rate issue. Check your TV and if it has selectable refresh rate, see if you can set it to something greater than 70mhz. Most modern HD TV's can now do 120 or 240mhz.

0 Likes
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Missing moments like you mentioned is the best way to describe it.  The picture skips and it's just not normal. 

I checked my TV for the selectable refresh rate and didn't see a setting for that.  I have a Sony Bravia, about 15 months old.

Besides that selectable refresh rate is there anything else that I could try to resolve?

If not I'll have to call Verizon because it's not right. 

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

select 720p in the set top menu?

menu>settings>video settings>video format?

also turn off "CineMotion" and "Motion Flow" in your bravia

Also another forum user noticed sony has a firmware update on the Sony site for the Bravia 40V5100. In the description it states that it fixes various HDMI issues. Maybe try the update?    

see if it's for your tv too 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

update, the other guy with the sony bravia problem said the firmware did not make a difference, but the 720p setting did.  

FWIW

I like 720p better anyway, I think you will too.   

Progressive scanning reduces the need to prevent flicker by anti-aliasing single high contrast horizontal lines.[4][5] It is also easier to perform high-quality 50/60 Hz conversion and slow-motion replays with progressive video. In high-motion scenes, 720p has higher vertical resolution than 1080i (720 lines versus 540 lines), making it preferable for sporting eventssuch as auto racing and basketball that move at a very fast pace on live television.

jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Hubrisnxs.

My box was set at 1080i so I just changed it to 720p.

I also shut off the CineMotion and the MotionFlow on my Bravia.

I'll have a look and see if this does the trick.  Be back in a day or two.

Thanks again for the info.

Jeff

0 Likes
dualityim
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Jeff,

I'm the other guy with the problem who posted on the dslreports forums. It seems my problem was caused by using full pixel mode. I tried using 1080i output while using "full" mode and the problem went away. I'm not sure if the problem you are experiencing is the same as mine. Were you also using full pixel mode by any chance?

jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

^  Yes, I always use Full Pixel mode.

I haven't had a chance to really watch a lot of TV between last night and today to see if the things I did in my post above worked.  I'll check back and let you know.

Thanks guys.

jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you very much you guys.  Not sure which of these above was the actual issue but the problem has went away.

I appreciate the help.

0 Likes
defa
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same exact issues, just signed on about 2 weeks ago and had nothing but trouble.  My Bravia  is 4 years old and found out through the Fios management team the Fios DVR box is not compatable with this brand.   I'm going back to Direct since the pic is great and they offered new customer pricing.