HD box with coax
DeeDubya1

So here's my situation:

Had my basement redone and mentioned to the guy doing the work that I wanted a TV on both sides of the basement...HD big screen on one side, HD smaller TV on the other so that I can have a game running at the same time...sports bar like, ya know?

Anyway, in the corner where the smaller TV was to be mounted, he ran power and a run of coax.  And he mounted the coax well, meaning I don't think I can pull it from the ceiling.

I've noticed there are HD STBs that have coax output.  Does anyone know if it would be possible to connect both TVs (the smaller via coax and the larger via HDMI) and use that HD STB to tune the smaller TV, albeit it in low-definition?

Also, are there any other options I am missing to perhaps get an HD signal to this smaller TV short of tearing my ceiling apart and running a long HDMI cable?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: HD box with coax
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Not sure if I'm fully understanding your question.

If you are asking can one stb be connected to two tv's. One by HDMI and one by coax out of the back of one stb. then the answer is yes.

The HD stb's have both HDMI and Coax outputs. The only thing is that both TV's will have to be watching the same program. You will not be able to get one channel on one and another channel on the other.

Is that what you needed to know?

For the HD signal, you would need to run either HDMI or Component cables (red, green, blue, red and white)

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

spacedebris is on the money ... be aware however that some HD TV's can take a short amount of time to decode the HD signal which would not be present on the SD coax output, so that the screen and sound may be slightly out of sync.   An HDMI cable would certainly be the best way to do this.

Another thought ... rent a digital adapter ($3.99/mo) from Verizon and drive the second TV with a separate tuner.   Now, you have the true sports bar feel with two TV's with potentially two different games on at the same time.  

DeeDubya1

No, you got it...and I *thought* that was the case but here's the next question:

Let's say I tune the STB to 513 (an HD channel)...the set connected via HDMI would be just fine but the set connected via coax would, what?  Downconvert the signal?  Not display at all?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

It will down convert it.

But take note of what lasagna said. I forgot about that. Some HD TV's do have a small delay so you might get them slightly out of sync so you may get an echo effect. Although not always. Depends on your tv.

Now if you have two HD tv's. Then you should be fine with HD.

If you have one of each, then this will work, but I would still keep in mind what lasagna said and at least consider getting a digital adaptor for the second tv and run it independantly. Could get two games that way Smiley Very Happy

But in answer to your question. Yes it will work and it will downconvert for the SD.

0 Likes
vzlpcicalvo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your Best bet is running one via HDMI (Large TV) and the second by COMPONENT Cable (Smaller TV since its farther away) HDMI Cables the shorter the better they are but with component aslong as its under 50FT you really don't lose anything noticieable especially on a small tv.

Or your second option there are devices outthere that replicated the signal via HDMI essentially an HDMI HUB where the FIOS HDMI plugs into that then it has anywhere from 2 to 5 HDMI Output. But all your TV's will have the same programing.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is not correct... with HDMI, distance is a factor only based on the quality of the cable and the amount of signal being sufficient for the remote end to process it.   Cheap cables can have excessive signal attenuation preventing any picture at the remote end.  You can run HDMI over substantially long distances (150M or more) with an appropriately constructed cable and sufficient signal.  An HDMI 2x1 splitter can be had from a number locations -- such as Monoprice -- for about $30.   Over equivalent distances, HDMI will always deliver a better quality signal owing to the nature of digital vs analog transmission (unless it falls below the level necessary to deliver a signal in which case it's no picture vs crappy picture).

But .. that's not what the OP wants anyhow since the cabling is already in place with Coax only.

The options with such a setup are either connecting the set to the Coax output (with the automatic downconvert -- this does no impact the HDMI output resolution at all) and living with the potential signal delay issues (easy enough to test) --or-- getting a second adapter or STB (since SD is sufficient, I'd say digital adapter would do the trick) and capitalize on the ability to watch two different channels at once.

0 Likes