HD boxes dropping sound
MES

Both my HD boxes (but not my DVR) have from time to time just dropped sound altogether.  Seems random, change a channel or access the menu and suddenly no sound.  With one turning it on and off seems to fix it. With the other box I had to physically uplug the box to get it to work again.   This, of course, after spending loads of time trying to figure out what was wrong with the speakers on my TV!! 

0 Likes
Re: HD boxes dropping sound
taylorjs

Mine are doing the same thing. This started happening after the 1.7.1 update...pretty sad.

0 Likes
John_Stenger

Same here. HD channels dropping sound when changing channels. Happened after the 1.7 update. Anyone heard anything on this?

0 Likes
MrsKerin

It's also happening for me -- but strangely, like some HD HBO channels, but not all.  And we can get sound on the regular channels (like channel 9) but not on the HD version of channel 9.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
rkogers

I'm having exactly the same problem.  The last Verizon tech I reported the problem to said a recent Verizon set top box fix solved some problems and created others like our sound issues.  He offered to send me cables to bypass HDMI.  I would rather just have my set top boxes fixed.  If you have gotten Verizon to fix your set top boxes, please share with me how you did it.  Good luck.  Thanks.  Ron {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Erimar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here.  Random channels dropping sound.  If we turn off the tv and turn it back on, then the random volume outages will just switch to other channels.  We called tech support, and they said they hadn't heard about this specific problem, just that people had been having problems with very low volumes on channels.  First they suggested replacing the HDMI cable with component, but after being on hold for 45 min. a new tech said that wouldn't help.  They sent us a new box, same version, the 7100, which we set up today, and it STILL DOESN'T WORK.  Still getting random channels with no volume.  So, don't let them send you a new box because it doesn't make a difference.  Calling back tomorrow and will repost with any new info.

0 Likes
taylorjs

I talked to Verizon tech support last week and she verified that this was a bug in the 1.7.1 release. She said no ETA on a fix.

0 Likes
Erimar
Enthusiast - Level 1

PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE SOLVED.  After calling tech support 3 times, and getting multiple answers, I finally seem to have gotten the right one, and it's too simple!  We had been told it could be the HDMI cable, but then told that wasn't it several times....finally, I got a tech on that convinced me to try RCA cables (all I had at the time), and so far, it seems that the volume is back.  Poor quality, but we're getting the component cables sent for free so we can get the highest quality sound.  I had also heard that the HDMI cables are the best, but was told that basically their only use would be for gaming systems that use 1080p.  If you have 1080i, then the HDMI cable is not necessary and you will get the same quality from the component cables.  They are the green, blue and red cables, and also a set of white and yellow go along with them.  Good luck!

ConcernedUser
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found the solution for mine.  I can't say if this issue is yours.  

My Problem:

Every so often when I changed channels, I would lose sound.  It seemed like it was related to HD channels, but I can't be sure.  I could temporarily resolve the problem by flipping through HDMI inputs, power cycling the TV, or power cycling the set top box.  But then the problem would occur again.  My impression is that this started or got much, much worse very recently.  This only happened with HDMI inputs, not component cables (but really, who wants to use them if you have a really good TV).

For reference, my setup is a Vizio VF551XVT, I have the HD DVR and also an HD Receiver, and I could replicate the problem with both set top boxes.

Solution:

I switched the set top box sound format to L-PCM from the default "Auto" setting.  I cannot assure you that this will fix your problem, but it did fix mine.  Here is how to do it:

There is a special setup menu that you can enter, that is NOT part of the regular set to box menu settings.  To get there:

Power off the Set top box.

Hit Select

Hit Menu

You will see a white screen and an all text menu called USER SETTINGS.  Use the arrow keys to move around.

Scroll down to a line that says "ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS" and hit a right arrow to get into the next level of the menu

There is a sound setting called AUDIO OUTPUT It says AUTO  Scroll to it and change it to L-PCM.

Exit out of the menus, power the unit off and power it on again.

Rants

I called a number of times on this issue and let me count the things that ticked me off:

*One rep said they never get this problem

*One rep said I needed to update the firmware on my TV set

*Another rep said that HDMI uses an intricate protocol and device incompatibilities do occur.  He steered me to use Component Cables and assured me that I would not suffer image problems because Verizon only broadcasts in 720p anyway (neither was true, although component cables will solve my sound problem)

*I got the tip on the L-PCM setting from my TV manufacturer, but they did not know the exact keystrokes to enter the menu and suggested that I call Verizon to have them guide me through that screen.  But Verizon could not do it.

*The Verizon set top box documentation also lists the wrong keystrokes to get into the menu.

*The Verizon set top box documentation also does not show the menu option that fixes the problem.

When I finally figured this out I called Verizon and asked them if there was a place I should submit the proposed solution.  They said there is no place to do that!  Can you believe that tech support people have no way to send in new solutions? WTH!??

So thank you Vizio and Verizon you have some work to do!

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@ConcernedUser wrote:

*Another rep said that HDMI uses an intricate protocol and device incompatibilities do occur.  He steered me to use Component Cables and assured me that I would not suffer image problems because Verizon only broadcasts in 720p anyway (neither was true, although component cables will solve my sound problem)

Actually, this rep had it nearly correct. The only error he had was the 720p. Verizon broadcasts up to 1080i. Other than that, he had it perfect. HDMI does use an intricate protocol. There is currently no universal standardization for HDMI yet so when Verizon updated HDMI to fix some issues with some TV's it breaks it for others. Until a universal standard is issued for HDMI, manufacturers will continue to use different protocols and cause incompatibilities. Component cables do not use this protocol. They will carry the 1080i resolution just fine. The only thing that HDMI does currently that the component cables do not are 1080p resolution (that Verizon does not use, only BluRay players use the 1080p so its a moot point here) and the HDMI will be needed for the 3d television. Again not available on Verizon now. So Component cables are the solution to this and all other HDMI issues.

0 Likes