Re: HD channels "pixelizing"
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Here's an update. After continued pixelation on various HD channels, I decided to make my 12th call to Verizon to see if there was anything further they could do to help me. I went through my whole history about how various techs came to my home and ruled out any equipment problems. I told him that attenuating the line didn't help. And I further told him that 2 of the techs confirmed the same pixelation and audio drops at their CO nearby. His response was that there was nothing further he or Verizon could do and that I should personally call the broadcasters of the various channels I'm having a problem with since it must be an issue on their end. 

I told him that we're talking about 10 to 12 different channels. He said not to worry because they're probably all owned by the same company. I asked, "Can't Verizon call on my behalf?" Apparently it's not something they do. Unbelievable. This is the tech advice I get!!!!!

0 Likes
benneyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

We just had FIOS installed this Monday, and after much watching and exploring, I can say this "pixelization" issue occurs on fast moving subjects/fast horizontal pans, on most HD channels and HD VOD content.  Content without these "fast" movements is crystal clear.  For example, Transformers HD looks great, until the action starts - then pixelization/tiling/macroblocking etc. of the fast moving elements.

Is this what you folks are seeing, or a complete screen pixelization?

This is apparently fairly widespread, and is also discussed at the AVS Science Forum.

0 Likes
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Hey BenneyB,

I can't speak for everyone, but the pixelation/tiling/macroblocking that I'm experiencing isn't being caused by motion as you describe. I believe that's a separate "motion blur" issue. Do you have an LCD?

I'm having intermittent pixelation on different HD channels that lasts for a second or two and occurs every 10 -15 minutes or so. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes it affects the entire screen, sometimes a third of the screen and sometimes it's just one horizontal line. It also seems to come and go. And by that I mean that one day BravoHD will be virtually unwatchable and then 2 days later it's fine. Then it's back. And this is the case for at least 10 HD channels that I watch. It's really infuriating.

0 Likes
benneyb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Redfran,

No, I have an SXRD Sony 60".  I think technically the problem I have is called "macroblocking" - whatever, it is the fast moving part of the picture only that suffers breakup/blocking/mosaicing etc. under this problem.  The gurus at AVS think this is a combination of MGEG-2 compression artifacts and possibly bit-starvation/throughput limitation.

I also do occasionally get a line or so of pixelization as well - agreed, this is seperate from the fast moving subject breakup.  I'm willing to put up with this because of the promotion we signed up under, and because the HD PQ is generally stunning otherwise.

0 Likes