HDMI Connection Problem
d3mon

I have an Sceptre X46BV-1080p TV, I had the STB Motorolla QIP 7216 connected to the TV via HDMI.

It worked perfectly until tuesday when VERIZON pushed their new firmware. The STB started to reset itself constantly (Turns off->the display shows 88:88-> top right light on display blinks for a litle bit->shows a channel number with the bottom left light on-> same light on but shows dUI, then shuts off and keeps doing it).

It is very weird because if i have the TV on the STB is ok, as soon as i turn the TV off the STB begins to re-start itself and it only happens with the HDMI connection if i use component cables i dont have this problem. I tried different cables and all of the 4 HDMI ports on the TV I also tried my bedroom box (same STB as the living room) and does the same.

I chatted with technical support  and they dont have a clue what is going on. They told me the problem might be the TV compability with the new firmware (DUH) and to use component cables instead (SEEMS  THAT WITH EVERYONE WHO HAS HDMI PROBLEMS THE TECHNICAL SUPPORT ANSWER IS TO USE COMPONENT CABLES)-> which of course is ridiculous specially since I DIDN'T HAVE the problem before, and it should work , whats the point of having HDMI boxes if they give so many problems and whats the point of having 4 HDMI ports on my TV if i can use them?

Has anyone had any kind of problems like this??? 

Is there anyway to go back to the old firmware and keep it????

PS. I tried updating my TV firmware and it didnt help

0 Likes
Re: HDMI Connection Problem
Justin46
Legend

I am trying to follow the 1.7 installations as best I can through this forum and a couple of other web sites, so far I have not seen any report remotely like what you are experiencing.

1) Just wondering, where are you located?

2) You said it was happening on another STB the same way; did you remove electrical power to both of them and swap them, or just try try the bedroom STB? If you haven't removed power, I suggest you try that, I don't think it can hurt and might help.

3) You said you are using HDMI, but do you have an A/V system connected in this setup, HDMI from STB to A/V then to TV, or HDMI direct to the TV from the STB? From your description it sounds like you probably don't, but if you do, can you try it bypassing the A/V system?

4) It works ok with theTV turned on first, huh? On both STBs? Weird. Turn the TV off and the STB starts restarting, have not heard of that on previous levels either. Certainly does sound like an HDMI handshake issue. Any chance you can try it with another brand of TV?

As to HDMI vs. component, well of course I understand the desire to use your HDMI connection, I use HDMI. But from what I have heard over the last 4 years, you can pretty much usually get the same picture quality using either connection. Some people say the picture is actually better on component, I guess that may depend on the specific TV you have. You apparently do need to make separate adjustments on your TV depending on which connection you use to get the best picture though.

Verizon distributes the IMG to all installations in a VHO, so I am betting that no, there is no chance to go back to 1.6.2 unless severe problems are discovered in 1.7 that affect many or maybe most users and they do a total rollback. I wonder if somehow your STBs received corrupted copies of the 1.7 level? I am pretty sure that Verizon can force a redownload of the entire 1.7 level, maybe you should ask them to do that, can't hurt since it isn't working properly now.

Hope Verizon can get this fixed for you.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: HDMI Connection Problem
d3mon

lol Verizon people is clueless too, they havent seen something like this before.

1) located in Plano TX

2) Yes it happenned in the other STB, I really didn't notice which power cord i was using but i will try swaping power cords as soon as my wife goes to sleep,

3) It is connected directly to the tv

4) It works normally in the bedroom TV via HDMI, i think is just this tv. I was trying to use HDMI mostly beacause i already had both component inputs used, no i have my Wii disconected lol,  so far the connection seems just like HDMI i see some pixelation on sports that wasnt there before (might be placebo though), i hope Verizon fixes this too.

No i have another problem when im in SD channels and i use the guide, there is this distorsion line in the bottom of the little screen on the guide, is not there when i use the guide on HD channels.

0 Likes
dUi displays on my Stb. What is it?
WithAK

My stb has been saying and is now saying DUI every once in a while and now an intermittant buzzing is coming from the box?

0 Likes