HDMI Just Stopped Working on my HD DVR
tvengineer77
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've seen some issues regarding HDMI that doesn't work (failed HDCP handshake) but I was wondering if anyone ever got a definitive reason as to why this is failing and if there's a fix.

I've had FiOS since December '07 and used the HDMI output of the HD DVR (Moto 6416-2) up until Tuesday. I have a Mitsubishi 52628 DLP set. I turned my TV on on Tuesday to find that there was no picture from the HDMI input but it worked fine on other inputs and devices. I unplugged the HDMI from the DVR and plugged it back in and the picture came up, then a message saying "The HDCP connection to your display has been compromised. Please use the Y Pb Pr outputs to your display."

What the heck? It's been working for 9-10 months and all of a sudden it just stops? Is this related to a software update possibly? Do I need to get a new HD DVR box?

This sucks having to use the analog video outputs. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Message Edited by tvengineer77 on 09-25-2008 08:17 AM
Re: HDMI Just Stopped Working on my HD DVR
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

I've had that happen once to date.  To wit:  Turned on the TV and the HD DVR and I got that message on my TV as well.  Freaked out for a while, but presumed that this meant that the STB (for whatever reaon) stopped getting the correct DRM handshake signal from the TV.  I unplugged the HDMI cable, straightened it out (since I had disturbed the connections a bit earlier that day) and plugged it back in and all has been well since (about a week).

Fingers are currently crossed.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

First of all, I have had FiOS TV for nearly 3 years, all using HDMI to my Sony TV, and I have never experienced what you described, so I don't know how much this will help.But I have on rare occasions experienced what appear to be HDMI - TV communications problems, and what I describe below has always fixed them.  

There have been plenty of folks describe various problems with HDMI and Verizon's HD STBs - picture no sound, sound no picture, nothing at all, error messages, etc. I think at least part of the problem is that (from what I have read, not personal experience) the HDMI spec was written perhaps a little too loosely and the manufacturers on both sides, STBs and TVs, interpreted things differently. So sometimes things "just don't always work right."  Sometimes things can be fixed by getting an update to the software in the TV. But whenever you get a situation like you describe, the first thing I would do is 1) turn off the TV, 2) turn off the DVR, 3) remove the power from the DVR for maybe 30 seconds, 4) then plug the DVR back in and let it go through its startup process, 5) turn on the DVR, and 6) turn on the TV. That seems to reset everything back to "normal" and things will work again, for maybe a short time, maybe months at a time. At leat it always has for me.

Hope this helps.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Perry-TX

I have a problem sith my Samsung 650 series and the Verizon Set Top Box.

I spoke to Verizon several times and finally was told that Samsung has a download fix. I spoke with Samsung and they have no fix, bir di they plan one. Here is where they say the problem lies -

Verizon (and supposedly only verizon) has chosen to compress the signals sent to the TV, Most tv also compress signal received, so this double compression is resulting in too much data loss and teh tv can not figure out what to do.

Since I see this in several postings with various tv brands I tend to believe this is not a Samsug issue or other manufacturer issue. Also I was told that Samsung has a fix for this, but as stated above they do not. Why was I misled to believe this Verizon? I know I really like my TV, and as far as service provider goes, there are several other choices that will likely work with my tv.

Perry

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@Perry-TX wrote:

Verizon (and supposedly only verizon) has chosen to compress the signals sent to the TV, Most tv also compress signal received, so this double compression is resulting in too much data loss and teh tv can not figure out what to do.

@Like my grandmother used to say: "That may be so, but I kind of @#$%-ing doubt it."  The reason FIOS' Picture Quality is superior to everybody else is precisely because the FIOS video signal is LESS compressed than the satellite and cable providers because for them bandwidth is a very precious commodity, so they compress the heck out of their feeds to squeeze more channels in, wile FIOS has the luxury of a LOT more bandwidth and doesn't need to comress anywhere near as much.  I would suggest that your problem lies elsewhere.
0 Likes
CJ8000

I experienced the same problem this past week.  All was fine on Monday evening.  By Wednesday or Thursday, I had no signal via my HDMI inputs.  My TV is a Samsung 550.

To troubleshoot, I tried different HDMI cables (no luck).  I moved my box to a different TV, an LG (no luck).  I tried rebooting the box numous times, including following the steps posted on this thread by Justin (no luck). I can get a signal via other outputs, but my component inputs are already being used by other devices and it will be inconvenient to switch everything around.

If there are a number of us who experienced this problem around Oct 1, 2008, then that would indicate a FIOS software update is the cause.  Please respond if you are also experiencing this issue.

0 Likes
Stew
Enthusiast - Level 3
Verizon doesn't do anything to compress the signal. I've got a Samsung 750 series which is almost the same as yours and haven't had problem one. I really believe Samsung is selling you a load of bull.
0 Likes
jhud
I just got a Samsung 550.  Hooked it up to my HD DVR (6416) via HDMI, and it worked great for 2 days, then no signal can be found.  Don't know if it's a coincidence that it happened at the same time as the rollout of all the new HD channels.  I am resetting the box, and will try again tonight when I get home.  I find it a little too coincidental that a couple people with Samsung 550s and 650s are having this problem.  Sounds like Verizon needs to update their firmware??
0 Likes
jhud

reset my HD DVR and it works again.  Hopefully it will last more than a few days this time.

0 Likes
Perry-TX

I would think that it is the Samsung also except -

The first post in this was regarding a Mitsubishi

A FIOS rep told me to use the Compsite jacks until the new Motorola Firmware was ready

There are several other brands listed in various post over time here with the same issue.

I have the 6412 (I think that's the number, can't see it now) not the 7200 series DVR - which is what this is reported on. I will call them later for a new box, but it might be interesting to know shic boxes other have.

0 Likes