HDMI OUT to AV Receiver Issue (FIOS TV ONE Box)
Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hope some really smart people find this post.  Very frustrating problem here.  I have an HDMI cable from TV to HDMI Out port on my new Onyko AV receiver.  I am having handshake issues I think.  Sometimes the video passes fine and sometimes I get symptoms of a bad cable.  I called Onkyo and they said there may be confusing signals being sent and the Onkyo can't handle the signals "crossing" so it just burps and spits.  Doesn't seem to occur during viewing just at power up.  With inital testing, doesn't seem to occur with other input sources.  Unplugged FIOS Box.  I could use component cable and optical from TV to receiver and then HDMI to FIOS TV One and other input sources.  Would the hidden settings menu in TV ONE Box shed any light on this?  Maybe disable some settings so only one traffic stream runs thus making good handshake?

I am grateful.  Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HDMI OUT to AV Receiver Issue (FIOS TV ONE Box)
Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I almost don't want to write this I'm so embarrassed.  I called Onkyo and we did some cable troubleshooting and moving cables to try different ports. Check all cables in future is the lesson before assuming it's something much more complicated.  I have some short "jumper" HDMI cables which are great to connect components next to each other.  IT WAS A BAD JUMPER!!!!!!  I can't believe it.  HDMI from TV to Receiver HDMI OUT fine.  New jumper HDMI from receiver (cable box port) to FIOS Box perfect so far as well.  Thanks so much again for your assistance!  Great to have folks like you out there.   

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

What resolution is the output of the Fios One set to? If 2160, are you using UHD Certified HDMI  cables? Is the Onkyo receiver capable of passing a 4K signal? Are both the receiver and the TV set up for "enhanced video" in their settings? Is it a 4K capable TV? Gotta give me some specifics.....

Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your assistance.  I need to try and dig into the settings because right now, I don't know if I have the answer to your question.  The Onkyo is capable of passing 4K, yes.  My Samsung TV is not 4K however.  Let me see if I can find any of the settings you're referring to either on Onkyo receiver or FIOS TV One box.  I will get back to you.  Many thanks!  I would like to solve this simply with one HDMI cable from TV to Onkyo receiver.  Much cleaner than component and optical.   

0 Likes
Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got into some settings on both FIOS TV One and Onkyo.  There is a hidden menu for FIOS box but I haven't tried to access and not sure that would help or not.  The FIOS is set to 1080P.  There was an ARC setting on the Onkyo which I changed to off because my Samsung TV is not ARC compatible.   That's all I can see right now in terms of settings.  To test and also access settings, I had to reconnect the FIOS box.  At initial startup, both video and audio passed fine.  However, switching to another input source (Amazon Fire Stick) and back to cable, video failed and was stuttering trying to come thru.  There's a conflict somewhere obviously.  I may need to contact Onkyo again.  Welcome any thoughts after what I did just recently.  Thanks! 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

May sound crazy, but first try pulling power on the Fios box for 30 seconds, then rebooting. If that doesnt help it sounds like it could be a HDCP handshake issue between the receiver and TV. What happens if you go direct from the Fios box to the TV? If you turn them off does the stuttering return? Can you try running the HDMI cable to a different input on the TV? The Fios box hidden menu is: power off at box,  OK 2x, left arrow, select user, look at a resolution. Should be 1080, 4:2:2. Go to additional HDMI settings, audio should be LPCM.  hit power, restart the box. If you dont have any issues going from Fios one direct to TV, there is an issue with the receiver, or the length of the combined cable run. When you set up the fios one, did it program the receiver as 4K capable? If so you need to manually remove the receiver and program out the 4K option.

Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again, thanks for your input no pun intended! 

1. I have previously connected FIOS box directly to TV and found no issue with image or audio.  No stutter or obstacle to normal function.

2. Tried second HDMI on TV with no improvement.   

3. I will try and look at the hidden menu but doubt there's any smoking gun there.  Has to be in the receiver somewhere.  If multiple or competing signals are being sent thru HDMI Out on receiver, couldn't one of those simultaneous signals be turned off?

4. Length of any HDMI is not at issue.  Onkyo support asked that and determined it was fine.  All AV gear is located essentially right next to each other.

5. There is a setting on the receiver menu regarding 4K compatibility but don't think that's a conflict but will have to check again on that and all this with Onkyo rep.   There is even a way they can do a reset on the receiver itself.  Has to be a way to utilize HDMI throuhgout all components rather than component style cabling and optical from TV to receiver.  Thanks so much again!  Interesing issue isn't it? 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have several 4K and 1080 sources including a VMS 4100 routed through a Denon receiver and don't have the issues you are having. I know the Denon is HDCP 2.0 compliant, is a 2017-18 model, and does only output 1 signal at a time. The Onkyo should do the same as far as source selection goes. I dont know anything about the Onkyo, but there are several image processing and scaling options in the Denon, I assume there are in the Onkyo too. Did you try a full factory reset on the receiver? I know it's a pain to get settings back, but it may resolve the issue as it seems to be the source. Does the Onkyo allow a signal pass through when it is off? The Denon has that feature, good way to see if some other option in the receiver is causing problems. If all else fails, give me the model# of the receiver and I'll try to find a possible cause.

Jacjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am so grateful for you hanging in with me.  The reset option was proposed by Onkyo and I can do that and don't really mind since the receive is new.  It will pass while off or in stand-by mode.  I have not tested that per se and/or in relation to this particular issue.  I am puzzled by this.  I suspect the FIOS completely but the reset on receiver may in fact solve the issue.  Just for the heck of it, the Onkyo is: TX- SR383.  When I get a moment, I will contact their tech support again.  Very knowledgable folks there.

Thanks again! 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the receiver off, turn on the tv and see if you get a good picture from the fios box, I assume the receiver had to be set to the box before you turned it off. If that works, it's got to be an issue with the receiver.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also try turning ARC off in the receiver, go to settings, HDMI setup, ARC and make sure it is off. Also in the same HDMI menu look at Standby Through and make sure it is set to the input the Fios box is on. If it is set to last, it will only pass the last used input before the unit was turned off. Also check to make sure 4K is NOT selected in the HDMI menu for the CBL input. All the above apply to settings in the receiver, not the Fios box. If none of that works, it may be an HDCP issue with the TV. You'll need one of these, hooked between the output of the receiver and the TV to make the signal compliant with the HDCP 1.4 the tv is probably looking for. Someone else here had the same issue, different TV and receiver, and this was the solution.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242&msclkid=f16c30c3c59d107847796d4ef5690550&utm_source=bin...