Re: HDMI PROBLEM
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good luck Nick I hope all stays well with your fix. Unfotunately I had short lived success after the 1.7 firmware update initially blew out my 1st stb and it worked for roughly 1 month then I had to switch to component.

I hope that does not happen to you.   

0 Likes
thiswateredone

Good read in this thread.  Glad to know that I'm not the only that had zero issues with previous providers using HDMI, but it was only when I switched to Fios TV that these HDMI problems which "every carrier has" arose.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

-John Adams

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

My HDMI with my Insignia TV just started working (I'm guessing that FIOS did a firmware update or something - there was a message in the message center saying that the guide was being updated).  Like others on here, it had always worked fine with the cable company's box, then didn't work when I switched to FIOS.  It's working now, though, so scratch off one annoyance.

0 Likes
quiet1

So are people still having the handshake issue after the new 1.7 update? I have a few friends that are having similar issues,one STB has HDMI connection and drops the sound specifically when toggling between SD and HD channels as well as just dropping sound on some HD when toggling.

The other STB has sound and video drops and the only thing that seems to work was turning off both components and then turning them back on. But within a minute the channels drop on one STB then on the same with the one that has audio drop. Is anyone else experiencing these handshake issues still?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the problem has been reduced greatly, but there are still lingering issues with the HDMI like you described, and those lingering issues are a priority for Verizon and the next two firmware updates should hopefully bring that issue closer to a close.

i think june/july is the next release and then november/december is the next release after that.

0 Likes
ConcernedUser
Enthusiast - Level 2
SargeOfNY

Nick,

This same issue exists, now in 2013, with Westinghouse TVs. I agree with you that the issue must be the STB, and since Verizon chooses to provide customers with these STBs that it is their problem. Verizon has been fighting with me, insisting it must be the firmware in my TV. Funny that less than three months ago this same TV worked without issue with my Cablevision STB. All bxes are HD, and in addition to the unsightly mess of Component cables I got this service for HD and the best way to view HD is with an HDMI cable. Verizon, on more than one occasion, has had the audacity to tell me that since it works with Component cables that they are providing me with service that works. I have never seen such arrogance. A contract is a two way street: We must pay and they must provide the service. IMO, Verizon is not providing a true HD service that works with HDMI. In my case, ever since Day 1 (almot three months already), if I turn off the TV and do not turn off the STB after 8-12 hrs of being off if I turn on the TV video and audio are out of sync. I am told the issue does not exist with their CISCO boxes. However, switching to CISCO means that one would lose all saved tapings on the DVR box since even if you moved the shows to Verizon's Cloud storage the format of the data saved on a Motorola DVR box is different from the CISCO format, and, with this knowledge, Verizon has decided to not create a data conversion program.

I know that cannot be my problem alone, and believe that a majority of the people are so brainwashed that they will, ever day, reset their box using the "Fix FIOS TV Issues" option on their STB.

Please reply to this posting if you are experiencing the same issue (video/audio sync issue), and tell us the STB box you have and the TV it is attached to.

Best,

Lee

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

Lee, Verizon implements the HDMI specification in a very precise manner, which means other components may not play well with the STBs.  The reason your Comast box worked fine with HDMI may be that the Comcast STB was more forgiving.  Have you checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your TV?  Others with this type of problem has good luck when they upgraded their TV firmware.  Just a thought...

NickB
Hey its Nick my old username became inactive

I just wanted to give an update. I am still able to use HDMI no problem, however I have switched to component cables as I feel it gives my TV far better picture and especially sound plus when switching channels between HDand SD channels there is no delay like you get with the HDMI channels. The sound was especially terrible using HDMI cables.

A few months ago I decided to go back to my local cable company bright house but I realized after a few months verizon has far superior service especially Internet and my wife completely begged me to go back to Verizon. When we got the service back I did a self install and apparently Verizon doesn't even send HDMI cables but they did send very good quality component cables which has seemed to do the trick my case I'll deal with 6 cables as long as it's great quality
0 Likes