Re: HDMI PROBLEM
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello ngel

Please pm me your first user name so I can look into why it does not work.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ngel wrote:
...I am still able to use HDMI no problem, however I have switched to component cables as I feel it gives my TV far better picture and especially sound plus when switching channels between HDand SD channels there is no delay like you get with the HDMI channels.

Regarding the picture quality, HDMI and component provide the same resolution from the STB -- either 1080i or 720p, depending on which you have the STB set to output.  The picture quality difference maybe that the picture settings for your TV inputs may be set diffrerently.  On my TV, you can set the picture settings separately for the HDMI inputs versus the component inputs.  I had the same experience in different quality until I made sure the settings were optimized for each input.  And the settings are not identical but the pictures now look the same via each input. Your sounds settings may also be capable of being set differently for audio too -- they are on my TV.

Regarding the time delay when switching between HD and SD channels, this is caused by the HDMI renegotiation when the resolution changes.  You can avoid this by setting the STB to output only HD (it converts the SD signals to HD) by setting the SD Override for the STB to off.  Since the output to the TV never changes resolution, there is no renegotiation and no time delay.

NickB

PJL

I appreciate your info on the HDMI.  My particular TV does have separate selections for whether you are using Component or HDMI settings and you can then fine tune setting within those individual selections.  I have used and tested both and still get a way better picture and sound using componenet cables the picture on my particular tv, the picture qaulity  is way better compared to using HDMI, i also have another TV with HD capability that i also use component cable as well.  

As far as settings on the box, i do have HD all set to on and SD set to none and did test this both ways as well on HDMI and Component,  still get the delay either way with HDMI cable and no delay with components.  

I not saying that there is an issue with the boxes or the cables but think about why is verizon only sending out component cables with self install now as they did with my order? My guess would be due to the notorious issues with HDMI cables and handshake problems and they probably figured it is much less of a problem using know to work component cables. I my particular situation have 6 cables doesnt bother me one bit , they are not seen in my set up 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

ngel, it's good you have a solution that works for you.  And you're likely correct about why Verizon doesn't send HDMI cables out anymore.  Too many problems.  When I got my new 7132 last year it had the HDMI cable included but no component cables, although HDMI cables are more expensive than component. 

I'm fortunate -- I've never had any problems with HDMI using the Verizon STB, a Denon receiver used as a switcher and for sound, and a Panasonic TV for just the video.  The HDMI seems to play just fine, and the picture quality is the same as component which I  tested. 

0 Likes
capthead

I am not happy at all with Verizon. I had two salesmen promise me lightening quick internet, better picturtequality and great service.

I got a noisy old first gen box and when I complained, they sent me a newer box that won't hook up with the HDMI cable. I found some phone jack cables and used them and got a very poor quality picture and extremely low volume sound.

Right at that time, the service tech knocked on my door askinf me if someone gave me a door hanger tag when they ran the cable. I said no but I was home that day. He came in and we looked at the TV and box. Gave me his card and said he would get someone on it.

This is the next day. I have placed two calls nand nobody has called back. Try to call Verizon. It's a joke. You can't get a real person.

I'm ready to have them pull this out and get Charter back. Better picture with my rabbit ears. **bleep**???

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@capthead wrote:

they sent me a newer box that won't hook up with the HDMI cable...

Please explain what you mean here.  All STBs have HDMI outputs. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi capthead,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

capthead,

We'll be needing to close your private case thread for the time being as we have yet to hear back from you.

Please reach out to us again here in this thread if you still need assistance.

-Art

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes