HDMI Switch + Verizon On Demand woes
MadmanMike

So I setup my STB to run through an HDMI switch (that goes to my stereo receiver's HDMI passthrough) which, except for the occaisonal audio glitch (usually when I switch sources without first turning my STB off) works great.  The only problem being that I can't seen to get Verizon On Demand to work.  When I go to the On Demand screen I get no picture, or rather just a black screen with a green vertical line or some other similar glitch but I do get the audio.  Plugging the box directly into my TV works just fine however.

Any thoughts out there?

My suspicion is either the switch or the passthrough.  I haven't tried connecting the box straight to my receiver's passthrough HDMI port and will try that next.

0 Likes
Re: HDMI Switch + Verizon On Demand woes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Your likely running into the problem with the compatibility of Motorola cable boxes and other devices when using HDMI. Many TV's have this issue. You are problably seeing the same problem via the sterio/HDMI switch. Although it is wierd that it is only affecting the vod. The VOD menu should be no different from any other menu/guide. Does the guide pull up ok? Or the other menu systems?

0 Likes
MadmanMike
The guide works fine.  I'll play with some of the other menus tonight.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
Well, if the menu systems are working fine and the video problem is only with the VOD program itself. Then my guess would be that your switch or the stereo passthrough is having problems with the Mpeg4 format of the VOD programming. I recommend isolating further if possible and see if it is the passthrough or the switch, then contact that manufacturer and see if they have an issue with Mpeg4 format. I dont know why they should but that is my best guess, Thats about the only difference I can think of between broadcast video and vod video. They both use the same resolutions. Only the format is different.
0 Likes
MadmanMike
I will definatley check that out.  Though the same switch also has my CPU and Xbox360 on it which don't seem to have any problems.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:
Well, if the menu systems are working fine and the video problem is only with the VOD program itself. Then my guess would be that your switch or the stereo passthrough is having problems with the Mpeg4 format of the VOD programming...

AFAIK Verizon does not currently send anything in MPEG-4.  The 6xxx series does not support MPEG4 decoding while the 7xxx series does.  As a matter of fact, any of the premiums that are received at the SHE in MPEG-4 have to be transcoded to MPEG-2 for this very reason.

EDIT:  Also, most existing TV sets don't know how to decode MPEG4 (perhaps with the exception of the newest).

Message Edited by Keyboards on 07-07-2009 02:26 PM
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
Well that shoots that Idea out of the water. OK, I'm at a loss as to think of what the issue may be then. maybe someone else will have a brainstorm
0 Likes