HDMI Switch audio not working
Smg12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using an HDMI switch for the input of the Arris  FiOS one mini wireless box and a few other inputs such as my Chromecast. I have the audio out in an optical cable to my Polk soundbar and the HDMI out to an Epson projector.  The HDMI inputs work fine when it comes to video and audio for the chromecast and everything other than the FiOS One Mini box, it shows picture fine but no audio at all.

The only time I can get audio to work, is when I unplug the power to everything both the FiOS box and the HDMI switch, and power up the FiOS box first and then power up the HDMI switch. The audio is fine but the video has a green tint to it.

I've tried to change a number of setting but still nothing. Any suggestions?

This is the HDMI switch I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088NK9PY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_0D0SFb3YEX7Q4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

0 Likes
Re: HDMI Switch audio not working
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smg1 wrote:

I am using an HDMI switch for the input of the Arris  FiOS one mini wireless box and a few other inputs such as my Chromecast. I have the audio out in an optical cable to my Polk soundbar and the HDMI out to an Epson projector.  The HDMI inputs work fine when it comes to video and audio for the chromecast and everything other than the FiOS One Mini box, it shows picture fine but no audio at all.

The only time I can get audio to work, is when I unplug the power to everything both the FiOS box and the HDMI switch, and power up the FiOS box first and then power up the HDMI switch. The audio is fine but the video has a green tint to it.

I've tried to change a number of setting but still nothing. Any suggestions?

This is the HDMI switch I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088NK9PY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_0D0SFb3YEX7Q4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you are using 4100 series boxes you need to go into the service menu. Turn off power with the button on the box and quickly hit OK 2x on the remote. Press left directional arrow, Choose User menu, scroll to advanced HDMI settings, choose audio and change it to PCM. Kit OK on remote, reboot box.

Smg12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just tried this and didn't work.  Audio still not coming through. I went back into the User Settings to see if the PCM setting held, and it did.  So not sure what is going on. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smg1 wrote:

Just tried this and didn't work.  Audio still not coming through. I went back into the User Settings to see if the PCM setting held, and it did.  So not sure what is going on. Any other suggestions?

When it isn't working correctly do you see video, but no audio via the Optical out from the switch? Can you possibly use the HDMI to provide both audio and video? Have you tried changing the input the fios box is on to the switch? Do you turn off the fios box before you switch inputs?

Smg12
Enthusiast - Level 2

When it is not working correctly, I see video but no Audio comes from the Optical out of the Switch, which goes to my soundbar; correct.

I'd prefer not to use the HDMI to provide both since I've already wired `25ft of the optical through walls and over ceilings to get from my HDMI Switch out to the Soundbar.   Plus not sure how that'd work since the audio is going to a soundbar and the video out is going to a projector.  If the HDMI output went to a TV I'm sure the HDMI would pickup both, but since HDMI to projector and Audio to soundbar, can'y say that'd work.

I've tried all configurations of the HDMI for Fios into the various HDMI IN spots on the Switch.  Nothing.  Again, my Chromecast is working no problem and other HDMI devices I plug in... just not the Fios Box.  

I dont turn the Fios Box off before I change outputs, I shouldn't have to, right? I turn from the FIOS input (with no audio) to the perfectly fine Chromecast with just buttons between the inputs.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smg1 wrote:

When it is not working correctly, I see video but no Audio comes from the Optical out of the Switch, which goes to my soundbar; correct.

I'd prefer not to use the HDMI to provide both since I've already wired `25ft of the optical through walls and over ceilings to get from my HDMI Switch out to the Soundbar.   Plus not sure how that'd work since the audio is going to a soundbar and the video out is going to a projector.  If the HDMI output went to a TV I'm sure the HDMI would pickup both, but since HDMI to projector and Audio to soundbar, can'y say that'd work.

I've tried all configurations of the HDMI for Fios into the various HDMI IN spots on the Switch.  Nothing.  Again, my Chromecast is working no problem and other HDMI devices I plug in... just not the Fios Box.  

I dont turn the Fios Box off before I change outputs, I shouldn't have to, right? I turn from the FIOS input (with no audio) to the perfectly fine Chromecast with just buttons between the inputs.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the Fios box checks the capabilities of a device when it connects to it. Maybe the switch isn't sending the same EDID info to the Fios box when you switch back, causing the glitch. Try turning the Fios box off before you switch, then back on after you switch back to it.

Smg12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Didn't work. I'm at a loss. I know audio does pass through the switch because when I reset the box and then plug in the power to switch (or vice versa) the audio works but the video is then tinted with a green hue. It's as if the HDMI didn't agree with the color format. When I reset the box, it goes back to no audio and perfect video.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smg1 wrote:

Didn't work. I'm at a loss. I know audio does pass through the switch because when I reset the box and then plug in the power to switch (or vice versa) the audio works but the video is then tinted with a green hue. It's as if the HDMI didn't agree with the color format. When I reset the box, it goes back to no audio and perfect video.

Have you tried the switch with ONLY the fios box attached? Curious if it is some issue with other devices somehow interfering with the signal. I have seen EDID issues before with devices not happy with the info being sent to them, could be the problem here where the Fios box is a lot more picky what it connects to than the Chromecast. You may need to find a different HDMI switch.

Smg12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. Any recommendation for a HDMI switch that will definitavely work?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smg1 wrote:

Ok. Any recommendation for a HDMI switch that will definitavely work?

Nothing I have personally tested. I would try something from Amazon that can be returned easily if it doesn't work. Should be at least HDMI2.0 compliant, HDCP 2.2 capable and able to pass HDR 4K60Hz. There is a newer version of the one you have:

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-avedio-links-HDMI2-0b-Selector-dp-B08DY748CG/dp/B08DY748CG/ref=dp_o...

Maybe this would work. Only other suggestion is changing the output of the Fios box to 1080i, and see if that works. Could be a problem with the Fios box trying to adapt to the switch resolution. If you set it to a fixed output it could help. Also make sure the switch is set to PCM audio if you have the Fios box set to it.