HDMI outlets
mscella

So I have FIOS coming into my house through a coax cable to the standard Actiontec router. Now I got my house outfitted with all these HDMI outlets in a bunch of rooms. But my Internet connection doesn't work through any of them. What do I need to do? Does someone need to come out here to activate something or is there a cable I should be plugging in somewhere?

0 Likes
Re: HDMI outlets
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mscella wrote:

So I have FIOS coming into my house through a coax cable to the standard Actiontec router. Now I got my house outfitted with all these HDMI outlets in a bunch of rooms. But my Internet connection doesn't work through any of them. What do I need to do? Does someone need to come out here to activate something or is there a cable I should be plugging in somewhere?

I would guess that you mean your rooms are pre wired with RJ45 Jacks not HDMI.  An RJ45 jack looks like a telephone jack except a little bigger, it has 8 connectors in it instead of 4 or 6 that appear in an RJ11 telephone connector.  An HDMI jack is an audio/visual jack and would be wide and flat looking.

Assuming that you have Ethernet jacks it presumably means that you have a a connection center in the house somewhere, a closet or a box on the wall.  All the Ethernet wires from the wall jacks should come to that point and be terminated in a labeled patch rack designating which port goes to which room.  I would have expected that the installer would have installed the router in that place but if not then you will have to find the connection center.

If you only want to use one Ethernet jack in the house then attach an Ethernet cable from the router to the closest wall mounted Ethernet jack.and connect another Ethernet cable from the corresponding terminating jack in the closet to the jack labeled for the room that you want to get to.  Then connect your machine to the wall jack in that room.

If you want to use connections in more than one room then you will need to obtain a network switch.  Mount the switch in the connection center and connect the terminating jack from the router to port 1 on the switch.  Then connect Ethernet wires from the other switch ports to the connection center terminating jacks for the rooms that you want to provide service for.

You should get at least 100mb switch, probably a 1gb switch as I would guess the wiring will support it - should be marked on the cables as cat 5e or 6 though in reality cat 5 will also carry gigabit so long as there is little interference.  Switches come in various sizes (numbers of ports) so get one that matches or exceeds the number of devices you think you will be servicing.

0 Likes