HDMI port doesn't work, causes du1 on box
Steve01

Ok so I have had FIOS for almost a year now and still have the same problem.  The problem is that the HDMI port on both my Home Media DVR and HD receiver doesn't work at all with one of my TV's (a VIZIO), and it complains(takes about 15 seconds from turn on of cable box to display video, and displays du1 a couple times) when I have it hooked up to my Sony receiver which is in turn hooked up to my Sony Bravia TV, all via HDMI.  This HDMI port issue has been a problem for countless customers of verizon as I have seen many threads on the forums about it.  MY complaint is that a lot of them have been marked "solved" when the "solution" was to abandon the faulty HDMI port (HDCP handshaking) in the motorola cable boxes and switching to Component and RCA cables.  This is NOT a solution!  The solution is to fix the HDMI problem with the motorola cable boxes.

So my question is what is Verizon doing to correct this deficiency with the boxes?  This has been going on for at least a year since I have had service and longer for other people.

Please Verizon, all we customers want is to be able to hook up 1 cable, not 3-5 cables(3 component and 1-2 audio depending on reg RCA or dig coax) to be able to utilize out HD and HDMI capable equipment.

0 Likes
Re: HDMI port doesn't work, causes du1 on box
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Steve01 wrote:

Ok so I have had FIOS for almost a year now and still have the same problem.  The problem is that the HDMI port on both my Home Media DVR and HD receiver doesn't work at all with one of my TV's (a VIZIO), and it complains(takes about 15 seconds from turn on of cable box to display video, and displays du1 a couple times) when I have it hooked up to my Sony receiver which is in turn hooked up to my Sony Bravia TV, all via HDMI.  This HDMI port issue has been a problem for countless customers of verizon as I have seen many threads on the forums about it.  MY complaint is that a lot of them have been marked "solved" when the "solution" was to abandon the faulty HDMI port (HDCP handshaking) in the motorola cable boxes and switching to Component and RCA cables.  This is NOT a solution!  The solution is to fix the HDMI problem with the motorola cable boxes.

So my question is what is Verizon doing to correct this deficiency with the boxes?  This has been going on for at least a year since I have had service and longer for other people.

Please Verizon, all we customers want is to be able to hook up 1 cable, not 3-5 cables(3 component and 1-2 audio depending on reg RCA or dig coax) to be able to utilize out HD and HDMI capable equipment.

The problem is that the HDMI protocol does not have an established standard that all manufactures have agreed to. As such each manufacurer has their own version of the protocol that may or may not be compatible with what is used by another manufacturer. This was particularly bad during the 2006-2008 manufacturing years. As of now, most companies have finally agreed to a standardized protocol so the handshake issue is not as prevalent as it once was. (still an issue for those manufacturers that still have not adopted the standard). Verizon has attempted to make the Motorola STB as "universal" as possible, but it still does not work with many of the older models. Most of this is due to the transmission of copyrighted material that needs communication between the TV and STB. The bypass to this is to use a non-digital transmission between the STB and the TV, I.E. the Component cables. This bypasses the copyright communication and allows for one way transmission from the STB to the tv. Hence the Communication is no longer a factor and the picture will arrive at the TV in the same quality. HDMI and Component will both carry the 1080i signal that Verizon broadcasts in.

As for when Verizon is going to correct this? Never. Plain and simple, its not really their problem. Its the problem on the TV manufacturer's side. Verizon has done everything they can to accommodate the non standard communications, but in then end, there is only so much they can do.

0 Likes
Steve01

Allow me to clarify then to your statements:

"This was particuarly bad during the 2006-2008 manufacturing years. As of now, most companies have finally agreed to a standardized protocol so the handshake issue is not as prevelant as it once was. (still an issue for those manufacturers that still have not abdopted the standard)"

"Verizon has attempted to make the Motorola STB as "universal" as possible, but it still does not work with many of the older models"

My cable box is a QIP-7216, my TV is a 40" Sony Bravia LCD(don't remember the model number) bought in early 2010 and manufactured late 2009.  My Sony receiver which is directly hooked up to the 7216 via HDMI was also purchased at the beginning of 2010 and manufactured late 2009.  My VIZIO TV was also bought and manufactured during the same time periods.

I'll give a little bit on the Vizio cause I considered that an "oddball" brand when I bought it, but higher end Sony equipment?  there shouldn't be any problems with that.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

oddly enough there is,   don't even include verizon in a google search.   just search sony hdmi issue and you'll see About 18,700,000 results

It's a luck of the draw,  not all sony's have the problem not all motorola boxes have the problem, it's a pot luck as to whether you will have the issue.   Most customers after verizon's updates no longer have the issue (It's very rare that we see anyone with an hdmi issue these days) but if you haven't already done so, search the avsforums or call sony and give them your model numbers and see if they have any firmware updates for your tv and receiver,  do the same for vizio.  

believe it or not, TV manufacturers recognize their responsibility in the issue as well and have put out firmware updates for their own equipment. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

btw, if all three of those devices don't work on the motorola and it worked before, then it may be a broken hdmi plug on the motorola box.   you can try a different motorola if you haven't already done so, HDMI connectors are a very lousy design and doesn't take much to damage or dislodge them.   

I like other posters in various places have pointed out, "only use HDMI when it's absolutely neccessary, (I.E.  when using HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, either to get full 1080p, or above 480p for standard DVD upconversion or with some high definition discs)"

"component is just as good picture quality, makes a much more solid connection and you avoid all the hassles, handshaking and DRM associated with HDMI, so just use that instead. The biggest down side is 3 cables for video + at least 1 for audio."

0 Likes