HDR on Fios Mini One Always Dolby Vision
CrimsonOmega

I have an LG CX paired with a Fios TV mini one and whenever I turn HDR on it always defaults to Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 which I assume is the Standard for HDR broadcasts. I also had a Vizio OLED paired with this same Fios TV mini one and had the same issue.

0 Likes
Re: HDR on Fios Mini One Always Dolby Vision
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@CrimsonOmega wrote:

I have an LG CX paired with a Fios TV mini one and whenever I turn HDR on it always defaults to Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 which I assume is the Standard for HDR broadcasts. I also had a Vizio OLED paired with this same Fios TV mini one and had the same issue.

Thats interesting because I believe the Fios boxes are only capable of HDR HLG, not Dolby Vision. Try toggling HDR on and off in the Video menu and see if it changes the situation. Also check in the TV's menu that auto is selected for HDR selection, or change it to HLG. You should also only have HDR enabled on box when there IS an HDR program on, or the box will send the HDR flag regardless of the source material.

CrimsonOmega

When i get the 4k Troubleshooter it tells me that my TV is capable of HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. I don’t think I can control the type of HDR via my TV menu, it either gives me the option to turn HDR on or off. I’ve tried turning HDR on and off on the mini when watching HDR broadcasts, but the changes only seem to take effect when I change the channel. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@CrimsonOmega wrote:

When i get the 4k Troubleshooter it tells me that my TV is capable of HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. I don’t think I can control the type of HDR via my TV menu, it either gives me the option to turn HDR on or off. I’ve tried turning HDR on and off on the mini when watching HDR broadcasts, but the changes only seem to take effect when I change the channel. 

Ill check and see if I'm right about the Fios box only being able to output HLG. Also HDR 10.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@clem53 wrote:

@CrimsonOmega wrote:

Ill check and see if I'm right about the Fios box only being able to output HLG. Also HDR 10.

Nope, I was wrong, the IPC4100 supports Dolby Vision (and HDR10 and HLG). The VMS4100 only does HDR10 and HLG. Looking into why your IPC is only outputting Dolby Vision.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

OK, here's the scoop: if the IPC 4100 detects that the TV supports Dolby Vision, then in order to prevent the screen resyncing when transitioning different types of content, the IPC4100 'tells' the TV that it is sending Dolby Vision content always. It internally performs real time luminance mapping so that the picture presented is correct, but it is confusing to users since the TV says it is receiving Dolby Vision all the time. It is perfectly fine to leave it in HDR mode, you'll still see the correct picture, even though your TV thinks it is seeing Dolby Vision.

CrimsonOmega

Yeah my model is IPC4100, the problem is when the TV is in Dolby Vision HDR the Picture looks extremely dark and the colors look way off. I recently watched the MLB All star game in 4k and when I watched it on Fox sports go it looked completely different from the Fios mini one the colors looked accurate and weren’t dark. The Livestream  was in HDR 10 on Fox Sports go. I’m guessing when Dolby Vision HDR gets forced on non Dolby Vision content that is when the Issue occurs.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@CrimsonOmega wrote:

Yeah my model is IPC4100, the problem is when the TV is in Dolby Vision HDR the Picture looks extremely dark and the colors look way off. I recently watched the MLB All star game in 4k and when I watched it on Fox sports go it looked completely different from the Fios mini one the colors looked accurate and weren’t dark. The Livestream  was in HDR 10 on Fox Sports go. I’m guessing when Dolby Vision HDR gets forced on non Dolby Vision content that is when the Issue occurs.

You want to make sure your TV is also processing the Dolby signal properly.  Are you sure the Fios one was sending a true 4K signal to the TV, or was it upscaling 1080? If it was really a 4K HDR signal, you might have to set your TVs input  menu to HLG or HDR 10 and see if that helps the PQ. I know Fox Now used to use upscaled 720P HLG HDR for their format, don't know if they still do.

CrimsonOmega

The MLB All star game was fox’s first true 4k HDR broadcast all others they’ve done in the past were 1080p HDR upscaled to 4k. I don’t think I can limit the selection of HDR of my LG CX I think the TV automatically detects what the content is capable of. I also notice that when I set the Fios mini to 2160p it forces BT 2020 on all content, I’m not sure why it does that. I Also checked YouTube Videos on the Fios mini one and I ran into the same problem, colors looked way off because the TV box is forcing Dolby Vision on HDR10 Content or HLG content.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@CrimsonOmega wrote:

The MLB All star game was fox’s first true 4k HDR broadcast all others they’ve done in the past were 1080p HDR upscaled to 4k. I don’t think I can limit the selection of HDR of my LG CX I think the TV automatically detects what the content is capable of. I also notice that when I set the Fios mini to 2160p it forces BT 2020 on all content, I’m not sure why it does that. I Also checked YouTube Videos on the Fios mini one and I ran into the same problem, colors looked way off because the TV box is forcing Dolby Vision on HDR10 Content or HLG content.

That was a long standing issue on the mini, and the reason for the menu accessible HDR on-off item. As long as the mini has HDR enabled, it tries to make ALL program material HDR, but apparently is not too successful in doing so. As you said BT2020 is the incorrect color space for HD programming, so your colors are off. Check this setting in the TV:

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w20_mr2/atsc/Contents/settings/picture/deepcolor_k_u_b_02/enga/...

By toggling this on or off you should be able to control whether the TV goes into HDR mode or not.

Also view some known HDR content and adjust the TVs settings to correctly display it. The CX stores 2 sets of picture settings, one for standard and one for HDR content. You get the most accurate color using cinema mode.

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w20_mr2/atsc/Contents/settings/picture/pictureadjust_k_u_b/enga...