HDTV Picture
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

I just got a new Samsung HDTV and the Verizon Fiois TV with the HDTV set top box. Should my HD channels fill the picture screen with no black bars on top or bottom unless they are not broadcasting in HD and then the picture should have just black bars on the two sides. Also should  the stations that don't broadcast in HD have just black bars on the sides.? I also noticed that many commercials have bars at top and bottom of the screen. When I got my TV set up a few weeks ago the HD stations had black bars on top and bottom. I called Verizon for help yesterday after someone told me me HD broadcasting stations should be filling the screen and was helped with changing the settings. I want to make sure they are correct now as the stations that don't broadcast in HD don't fill the TV screen (bars on two sides).  Someone said I could stretch the picture when it doesn't fill the screen but it could take away from the quality of the picture. My TV is marked with the following specs: 1280x700 @60 HZ  The person on the phone had me change the set top box setting to 720. Before I changed the setting MSNBC, which is not an HD channel, had a picture that filled the screen. Now it has black bars on the two sides. I also noticed that the guide no longer fills the screen as it did before the change.  

0 Likes