HDTV output 1080p
lopez112

my living room TV shows 1080i quality. My bedroom hdmi TV shows quality of only 720p. How can i change the settings to use 1080p? Both TV's are set-up with hdmi cables and are 1080p compatible.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HDTV output 1080p
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@lopez112 wrote:

my living room TV shows 1080i quality. My bedroom hdmi TV shows quality of only 720p. How can i change the settings to use 1080p? Both TV's are set-up with hdmi cables and are 1080p compatible.

The "best" (highest) output currently supported by the Verizon boxes is 1080i.  There is no bradcast 1080p content on Verizon's or any other providers network.  You can change the box for the bedroom to 1080i through the settings menu (assuming it is indeed 1080 capable).

Also keep in mind that all the Disney channels (ABC, ESPN, etc.) and FOX channels are being sent (from the source) at 720p.  If you really want 1080p then you will need to connect the box to an external de-interlacer / scaler (see THIS THREAD at DSL Reports).  Be prepared to pay $500 at a minimum for that device.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@lopez112 wrote:

The "best" (highest) output currently supported by the Verizon boxes is 1080i.  There is no bradcast 1080p content on Verizon's or any other providers network.  You can change the box for the bedroom to 1080i through the settings menu (assuming it is indeed 1080 capable).

Also keep in mind that all the Disney channels (ABC, ESPN, etc.) and FOX channels are being sent (from the source) at 720p.  If you really want 1080p then you will need to connect the box to an external de-interlacer / scaler (see THIS THREAD at DSL Reports).  Be prepared to pay $500 at a minimum for that device.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Menu, settings, video settings.  From here you can select 1080i or 720p. 

Or try the hidden menu on Motorola STB/DVR and select Native resolution.  With the DVR/STB ad TV hit power off on the DVR/stb, followed by ok and menu(you may have to use the remote for the ok and Menu as newer boxes don't have them on the boxes).  Should bring up a User settings where you can select Native and must also select the resolutions your set supports.  Note 1080p24 and 1080P30 are supported by the box this way but only if the program comes over in that format.  Some VOD MAY be sent out in 1080P, I know they were on Dish and DirecTV.  Although some OTA stations tested with 1080P, but currently none is using them on a scheduled basis.  Don't know if any of the cable channels are using it but  they may be doing so for MPEG4 material since 1080p24 and 1080p30 actually take up less bandwidth and compress better with mpeg4 than 1080i

Cisco boxes also support Native, but not sure how you get to their settings.  I heard that on Cisco they are not hidden.

0 Likes