HM DVR and my other DVRs in the house
dakota74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I just got my Home Media DVR yesterday.  My other two boxes in the house are HD-DVRs. 

Other than making use of all that hard drive space (by using the DVRs on all three boxes), is there any other advantage of keeping those two regular HD-DVRs?  Or should I just swap those out for regular set top boxes and use my HM DVR as my single "hard drive" with all my recorded shows which I can watch on my opther TVs via their swapped out regular STBs?

Also, would I also be able to watch or see files from my PC via Media Manager on the TVs that have the regular (not HD-DVR) STBs if I swap them out?

Thanks alot!!

Ross

0 Likes
Re: HM DVR and my other DVRs in the house
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@dakota74 wrote:

Hi all,

I just got my Home Media DVR yesterday.  My other two boxes in the house are HD-DVRs. 

Other than making use of all that hard drive space (by using the DVRs on all three boxes), is there any other advantage of keeping those two regular HD-DVRs?  Or should I just swap those out for regular set top boxes and use my HM DVR as my single "hard drive" with all my recorded shows which I can watch on my opther TVs via their swapped out regular STBs?

Also, would I also be able to watch or see files from my PC via Media Manager on the TVs that have the regular (not HD-DVR) STBs if I swap them out?

Thanks alot!!

Ross

Well, recording space IS a big deal in my household, but if that is NOT at issue, then switching to HD-STBs instead of DVRs will:

(1) Save you a few $$$/mo;

(2) Allow you to share content from the HM-DVR to the HD-STBs;

and that's about it for advantages.  All of the PC media and Internet video and access is limited to the HM-DVR only and is not shared with the other STBs.

0 Likes
dakota74
Enthusiast - Level 2
ok, so then lets say i have an .avi file on my PC.  I can watch it on the HMDVR tv?
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@dakota74 wrote:
ok, so then lets say i have an .avi file on my PC.  I can watch it on the HMDVR tv?
Yes (in theory).
0 Likes